Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP !! Blazer sat 2 months and now won't idle-possible water entry

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Aug 26, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

HELP !! Blazer sat 2 months and now won\'t idle-possible water entry

Please help !!
    My truck sat for 2 months with out being started(i had the front end off so no battery tray) I had a tarp over the front and it was bungy corded down. However, we had a big storm awhile back and the tarp slid down a little letting water hit the engine. The factory style air cleaner was on.Once the front end it back together.... It starts when given a little extra gas but it will not idle at all !! I drove it to run it but it still won't idle. I put some fresh gas in too. I have an 82 with a electric choke factory q-jet. I sprayed some choke cleaner down the neck. Me and my friend could rebuild it. And i want to rebuilt it but is there a simple fix to this ? is there any tips for rebuilding the carb ? would water in the carbs float bowls keep it from idling ? would the electric choke be bad from a little water ? How about adding "HEET" to the gas tank to get the water out??
    any ideas or anyone who wants to help me rebuild a carb ??!! any tips on how to tune it correctly ?
    Blake

2. Re: HELP !! Blazer sat 2 months and now won\'t idle-possible water entry

Throw some heet in her and see what happens. I let the Burb set for 3 months when I blew the tranny and it had a very low amount of fuel in the tank and it got a bunch of condensation in the tank. It would start and idle fine, but sputter as soon as you gave it gas. I have TBI !! Can't hurt to try it !

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

3. ColAdo82K5

Re: HELP !! Blazer sat 2 months and now won\'t idle-possible water entry

my gas tank was nearly full and i filled it off with 4 gallons or so of new gas. I'll try the HEET. But i want to rebuild the carb even if it works. Any other ideas of what could be wrong ?
    Blake

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

drain your oil, look for water, gice it her some new fire sticks(spark plugs) and look at the cap for water. i would rebuild the carb also because i am sure it hasnt been done before. use some heet too.
    Grant
    let me know if this works if you do it.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure that all that tarp flapping didn't pull off a vacuum line somewhere. Bad idle can usually be traced to a blown EGR valve or a cracked, broken or missing vacuum line. Also make sure that your choke isn't stuck on.

If your aircleaner was in place during all of this, why do you think water got into the system?

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

6. Re: HELP !! Blazer sat 2 months and now won\'t idle-possible water entry

Check your filter, sometimes when they sit for awhile things tend to settle and when you finallly get them going again you stir up particles of dirt and such that get trapped in weird new place like the filter, jets, ect..., causing allot of problems.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

7. ColAdo82K5

How can you tell if an eletric choke is bad or good or stuck or what ? Thanks for all your help guys.
    blake

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You need to pull the air cleaner housing off and have someone turn the key (not nessicarily turn it over) and watch the choke and see if it's closing, opening, sticking, or whatever.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

9. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

If you have to give it gas to get it running, I'd look at the carb to see if the choke is stuck open. Also, as noted before, check out the distributor, and maybe replace the wires and plugs (and rotor and cap) while you're at it. Also check the filter in the carb, as it may be a bit plugged to draw on it's own.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com