Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Blew My Rear And Need Info Asap!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XAlucardX, Dec 10, 2005.

1. XAlucardX

XAlucardX Registered Member

Ok i have a 91 blazer with i believe is the 10 bolt, it is limited slip.
    I blew it tonight playing around, im definite its the spider gears as i can spin one wheel by hand and the driveshaft moves, but the other wheel sits still. I flushed it out as soon as i got the truck and the fluid looked realy clean, i heard something when i got it about the rear recently beeing rebuilt... but it doesnt matter cus its broke now.

Anyway, i have to fix it tomorrow before my mom finds out (been working on cars for a total of 5 years so im capable) But im curious...

That military blazer i mentioned earlier tonight, what axle is it most likely to have in it?? And will it bolt right up. There are other blazers up there that i could use for the rear but if the military one has the same lug pattern and pinion so i can use my driveshaft as is i would like to grab that.

So should i take the military one?? Understand this all has to bolt up because im doing it in a wallmart parking lot (the swap) and pulling the rear out of the junkyard truck in the mud.
    Or should i just take the tag off mine and match it up. If the 10 bolt breaks as easily as it did tonight i dont want another... its junk!

But needless to say, i have to show up at my house tomorrow afternoon with a running truck... or a damn good explination of how i blew up my rear that doesnt involve tresspassing.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Military blazer will have a 10 bolt with a gov-loc in it which sounds like what you had. The military blazers are just like the civilian blazers with respect to drivetrain.

Ira

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Military blazer will have a 10 bolt with a gov-loc in it which sounds like what you had. The military blazers are just like the civilian blazers with respect to drivetrain.

Ira

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

gov bombs are junk, and 8.5" 10 bolts are notorious for splitting the carrier causing all kinds of problems.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

What exactly is wrong? a govlock will not spin both tires when jacked up like a regular posi or locked rear end. you have to spin 1 tire real fast suddenly to engage it.

6. XAlucardX

XAlucardX Registered Member

Thats exactly what it does, when i first got the truck i had it on my lift and found out that if its in park and i spin one wheel, the other spins the opposite direction so i was like "damn its a open rear" i pulled the cover and saw some wierd thing hanging off the side of the carrier and a H block between the spiders and i was like "damn, that doesnt look right" So i put it back on, filled the fluid, spun the tire as fast as i could and suddenly it stopped, put it in neutral and both tires spun like a locker... put it back in park and its open again.... So i guess thats the same as the truck at the junkyard??/ Either way, this particular place has set prices, all truck rears are 60 dollars. So i guess ill pull the cover and see if everything is in tact, and just transfer my brakes/drums over to the junkyard diff off of my current rear.