Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!!!! brake hose questions!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenneblazer, Oct 16, 2005.

1. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

Me and my buddy is working on his 84 k-10, he put 77 3/4 axles under it. A few questions on the brakes. THis is done a lot on here so I was wondering what everyone else does. The caliper for the front dana 44 bolt is almost a 1/2 bolt, but the line is for the stock corp. 10 bolt half-ton axle, I believe a 3/8 bolt. Can you take an extended 77 3/4 ton front hose, and make it work onto the 84 line? The 84 has different line mounts on the frame than the older ones. We are also wondering about the rear hose and e-brake cables. I am just wanting to know what everyone else has done with their axle swaps. We are both kinda stumped on it. He wants stainless steel braided hoses too. Need help ASAP so he can drive it

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i think you can just swap over the 10b calipers to the d44 (might be wrong)

as for the rear, get a line to match the frame side, i believe all axles use the 3/16" rear hardline from the T block, so it should just bolt up, or you can cut the old flare fittings off, put them on the new axle, and re-flare the tube

3. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

Thanks, I think that might work as long as they don't have HD brakes, the specs for the rotors appear to be the same. I have another question too on it. As you know the 80's trucks have both e-brake cables on one side, crossing over on the differential, but the 70's trucks have the cable crossover right behind the transfer and following both frame rails. What does everyone do to make that work? The different axles have different adaptors on the axle cables- to the frame mounts. The truck is a 4-speed and he has to have e-brakes. I heard about line locks but everyone says they are unsafe and also driveshaft brakes. What is the best and inexpensive way to go about this? :confused:

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

least expensive way (assuming you have 13" rear brakes and this is a SRW axle) is to go pull the backing plates off a 14bff or 14bsf SRW that has the 80's style "clip in" fitting for the ebrake cable, then just re-attach the old ebrake cable to the 14b

most 80's 3/4 ton burbs have the 14bsf with 13" brakes

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can use the 10 bolt calipers on the D44. The only thing I had to do was cut off a casting tab on the calipers. I even had to do this with the new ones I bought a few weeks ago.

Rick