Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

:Help: Brakes fading and headlight question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, May 7, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My brake pads and rotors are fine. The problem is when I let off the brake pedal slightly, then push it down it will go down farther, if I repeat this it will go all the way to the floor. What's the problem? I don't see any leaks, does it need to be bled?

One more question, I installed Xeon lights from midnightmoose.com. Recently my high beam switch fried(wires also melting the surrounding plastic a little) I just connected to wires together for the headlights to work. Will this be fine? The rest of the wiring looks fine and I'd rather not replace the headlights since I spent $50 on em and don't have the old ones.

Thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    My brake pads and rotors are fine. The problem is when I let off the brake pedal slightly, then push it down it will go down farther, if I repeat this it will go all the way to the floor. What's the problem? I don't see any leaks, does it need to be bled?

One more question, I installed Xeon lights from midnightmoose.com. Recently my high beam switch fried(wires also melting the surrounding plastic a little) I just connected to wires together for the headlights to work. Will this be fine? The rest of the wiring looks fine and I'd rather not replace the headlights since I spent $50 on em and don't have the old ones.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Internal leak in master cylinder. It's shot.

Dimmer: Anything over 60watt head lights is beyond the design limitations of the factory wires on the circuit. Install relays using the factory wires as the triggers. Come straing off the battery and fuse it and your lights will be better. There was a nice post on how to do this a couple weeks back.

3. anatomiczero

Thanks, the master cylinder & brake booster was replaced barely a year ago and it's already bad! I'm tired with dealing with all of these problems, oh well. Hey, anyone want a K5 for $750 in WA? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. anatomiczero

I just looked at the price on kragen.com and they're cheaper than I thought. But how hard are they to replace? I've never done a brake bleed before, is that hard to do?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Not hard. Just be sure to bench bleed it before installing it. It will come with directions on how to do it. Pick up a set of line wrenches while your there. They are like Box wrenches with a slot to get of over the line. The rest is bleeding.