Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! brakes making grinding noise!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bluethunder, Nov 28, 2001.

1. bluethunder

bluethunder Registered Member

May 16, 2001
    well i know this is a chevy board, but the guys on the ford board wont answer my questions and you guys always seem to know what your talkin about so here goes. ive got a 96 explorer 4x4 with 4 wheel disc brakes. everytime i apply the brakes there is a scraping/ grinding sound coming from the rear end. it kinda sounds like a bad spot on the rotor cause its like everytime the disc rotates and gets to one point it makes a noise. so.....my question is what do yall think is the problem?? the rotors were recently resurfaced and the pads replaced at the same time. i think there might be dirt on the pads or rotor. so i am going to clean them this weekend and see if that helps. how should i go about cleaning the pads and rotors?? any input is greatly appreciated. thanks yall.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT
    1.5" Lift
    Drilled Airbox
    30x9.50x15 BFG AT's
    8.8 With 3.73 LS
    Class III Hitch
  2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Well first of all <font color=red>GET A CHEVY!!</font color=red>[​IMG]

I usually just get a high pressure washer to clean my undercarriage and just put it in between the holes in my wheels and blast away. usually always works. You may want to take the wheel off and make sure that you don't have a defective pad (it is a furd[​IMG]) and that it's not scraping you rotor all to hell.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>
  3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May 8, 2001
    I don't know very much about Ford's... But my brother in law had a FWD4-wheel disc Grand Prix (now my wife's) that he had a mechanic do the brakes on about 7 years ago. The rear pads were completely different (somehow directional, but fit in the caliper even when installed wrong), and the guy screwed them up by installing them backwards, creating identical symptoms you're describing... You may want to verify that they were done correctly...

<a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.
  4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Jun 22, 2001
    Pot holes and washouts keep my brakes mudfree.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>