Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Broken 10 bolt rear ...again!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spankdaddy, Mar 28, 2002.

1. spankdaddy

spankdaddy Newbie

Help! I need to upgrade the rear end to 14 bolt - seems 10 bolts can't be rebuilt right:( Twice broke, rebuilt in 80k miles) Nothin abusive either! Can anyone point me to the 14 bolt info? I've not been successful. Want to upgrade the rear to 14 bolt ff - what year? Limited slip code numbers? Ratios available? I'd like 3.73 if possible, I'm in Anaheim, CA.
    Thanks!

cb

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is finding one with 4.10's...that is the most common. 3.73's are out there but harder to find. Also get an open diff unit and put in a detroit for about $350. The Gov-Lok is crap, stay away from that. As far as year goes....I am not sure if one is better than the other, just make sure whichever one you go with is in good shape. I think the 3/4 ton unit is a bolt on unit vs the 1 ton which has to have the spring perches moved...I think.

I just swapped one in which had already been modified by the previous owner to fit under a Blazer. Easy to work on even if you have no experince like me, just make sure you have like a Haynes Manual.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

go for 1988 or newer. better pinion bearings. and 3.73 are out there. the only two i have looked at to buy(and bought) were both 3.73.
    if it has cooling fins on the drum it is an 88 and up.
    or has had new drums put on..
    do the disk conversion if you can. i put about 320 into mine. that is with new bearing in just the hubs. when i re-gear mine i will do the rest.
    bearings are spendy.
    Grant

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I may be selling my 14 bolt SF soon. I think it has 3.73's. I'm about 30 minutes south of you. PM me if you're interested.
    Locally you can go to Ecology and try to find one that's good. I'm not sure how much they charge. You might even try wrecking yards. Look in the phone book or PM me if you need any help.

5. spankdaddy

spankdaddy Newbie

Thanks!
    More info - the blazer is at a tranny shop - as I'm moving now I don't have the facilities to fix myself right now. Which 14 bolt will be easiset to install? A semi or full? WHich spring perches are a bolt on? And on the semi are the wheel bolt patterns the same?

cb

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

A 14-bolt out of a 3/4 ton truck would be the easiest because the spring perches are in the correct spot for your truck.The full floater is better, it has bolt in axles and larger gears.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you want to see my Sub rear end. You can measure it. I'll going your way next week. I'm going to put a FF in because I got a good deal on one. Most people have told me you can't break a SF either. As far as I know the only spring perches that are different are the 1 tons.