Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!!!!! BROKEN BOLT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by redrightthand, Jun 12, 2002.

1. redrightthand

redrightthand Registered Member

I have an 87 K5, I was underneath the truck yesterday and noticed that the bolt holding the support arm to the transfer case was broken off at the top. The two bolts at the t-case are fine it's the one up at the back of the motor. The bolt appears to have been broken off flush. How do I get it out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, I'm not sure how much room there is to get a drill in there, but I would use a bolt-extractor or a EZ-out. You can them at any auto parts store or Home Depot. You have to drill into the broken bolt a little ways then insert the extractor and use a wrench to turn the extractor which then digs into the bolt allowing you to unscrew it....and you might want to soak the bolt in WD-40 or PB Blaster before start to help loosen it up.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're probably going to end up unbolting the trans and sliding it back and removing that bolt with vice grips.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

if there's a stub of the bolt sticking out, I've had better luck using a good pipe wrench with sharp teeth than using vise grips. Got the boken headbolts in a small cam cummins out that way. New 18" craftsman pipe wrench and a 4' cheater pipe too.