Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! Broken D60 Detroit, Trip in one week

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, Dec 24, 2003.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Short story; WARN Drive flange splines let go of the axle splines. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Got those parts. Shoulda seen it coming, Detroit's center 3 parts are also toast - probably for the same reason WARN says not to use their hub fuses with Detroits. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Are those parts available for something reasonably less than a whole new Detroit? FWIW I'm under the impression this is not a 'soft' locker.

Any leads on who might have them in So. CA ? On Friday ?

Anyone in So. CA got a good used D60 non soft locker FS ?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

don't the Detroit's have a warranty?

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

After MISF gets thru with something, it never fits within their warrenty rules. The Ti pins in his back, that he broke, weren't warrentied. We also don't have time to mess with it right now.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Is this an insert locker? Sounds like it.

Also, I have 35 spline Warns and your making me nervous about my new full carrier Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Nope, full carrier type.

The circlips WARN supplied with the axle kit did not fit the grooves in the axles. They were both too narrow and too big to fit properly. He got locking hubs originally, having been talked into them by the sales rep when he started out wanting flanges. When the replacement drive flanges for the blown hub came they did NOT have any instructions or other parts with them, so no circlips were used. Eventually this allowed an axle to move to where there was only 1/2 the width of the drive flange splines engaged in the axle splines. I speculate that when they finally let go the rapid unloading of the Detroit (was in a corner on the street at the time) did the damage to the locker.

I understand WARN says not to use their hub fuses with a Detroit for much that same reason. So if you break an axle or a drive flange/locking hub on a WARN FF kit in an axle that has a Detroit, INSPECT the Detroit too.

7. BadDog

Yes, I'm aware of the likelihood of shock load destroying Detroits, usually due to broken axles, hubs, or joints. That's one of the main reasons I went with slugs over lockout hubs. But my slugs came with lock rings for the 35 spline stubs.

FWIW when you fix this, the stubs are too long for the D60 spindle and even with a clip they allow the rear seal (by the Torrington bearing) to disengage. My fix is based on Brook’s (the Freak). I used 5 Nitrile o-rings between the lock ring and the slug. This keeps the slug at the very back of the splines on the stub, the seal pulls snug against the back of the spindle, and the stack of o-rigs allows some flex and preload on the system. Works very well as far as I can tell...

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I wasn't clear, this is a rear D60. Thanks anyway.

9. BadDog

Aha, I was wondering how a stub could pull back 1/2 way through the slug. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif