Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! broken sparkplug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeremyK5, Dec 17, 2003.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was changing the sparkplugs on a friend's 92 GMC fullsize van with a 4.3L v6 and the hex shaped part of the sparkplug snapped off, leaving the threaded part still in the head. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Of course it's the driver's side front sparkplug, which is the hardest to reach from inside the van.

Anybody have any ideas, or am I gonna have to figure out how to pull the head with the firewall in the way, and take it to a machine shop? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

It seems to run ok with that clyinder puffing air in and out, but I need to figure out something soon! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have you tried an EZ-out yet? If you do make sure the piston is not at the top of the cylinder and also use the largest square kind you can fit and be very careful while trying to remove it so as not to break the EZ-out.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

My buddy did that not to long ago and he had to pull the head and have it drilled out

nick

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep we had it happen on an 88 or so ford dinky hatchback car with tiny 4 cyl in it and we had to take head off and have it surgically removed at a shop

should always coat tthreads with anti sieze or something else good, this is one of those rare things that happens, and it probably wont happen to you again, unless maybe you work on a billion engines and stuff for yourself or others. i dont think ill come across this one again, i doubt it.

at least for you it happened to a GM 90 degree engine and not a japanese 4 cyl /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif it was no fun,.

good luck

5. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Before you remove the head, did you try heating it up and then try an EZ-out ? Not sure if the heads aluminum so be careful with the heat. I would try everything before disassembly.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That's a good point. I've known people that had problems removing exhaust manifold to head bolts, and warming up the engine loosened things up enough to get them free.

It certainly can't hurt to try, it's free.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have had it happen and got it out with an ez out and pb blaster. Thank God it was on the stand.

8. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After looking at it some more, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to pull the head, since it's a van. The firewall and floor are too close to the head, there really isn't any room for a drill in there for an ez out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif