Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help building roof rack ,

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ccox7, Dec 23, 2002.

1. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Has anyone built a roof rack ? Need some ideas on how to attach to fiberglass top.

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

bolts?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing at one point. However, I didnt want to acutally drill through the fiberglass top. They used to make one that mounted to the bed rails, thereby offering a lot of support. I think a bit of the byproduct was a stiffer bed area too. Search for a post, I know one member here has built on.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

bolts with very large washers. i would also use as light weight steel as possible. no need to use .23" on something like that.

With a top heavy rig, as K5's are already, i would only put sleeping bags, clothes, etc. up there to keep the CG low. i have seen a few Heeps with 40"+ spares on the roof and its no wonder they are the ones doing all the rolling.

5. msuforeman

msuforeman Newbie

I usually just lurk around on this board but I decided to join so I could possibly help you out a little bit. I do not have a blazer but I have a 95 Bronco---I know it's a ford. Anyway, when I built my roof rack I used 4 heavy duty door hinges to attach mine to my fiberglass top. I grinded off one of the ends on the hinges so the pin is able to slide out. I then drilled and tapped the hinge and added a set screw to hold the pin in. I did this so I could take the roof rack on and off in about 3 minutes. The hinges are plenty strong enough. I've had a spare up there before at the same time as my 250 lb. self w/o any problems. Here is a link to a couple of pics that kind of show what I did. You may or may not want to drill your top but this works out pretty well.
    http://www.superford.org/registry/index.php?vID=1365&fs=&dni=1&vs0=_1860_&vs1=&vs2=&s1=&s2=&s3=&s4=&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=&s9=&s10=&s11=&s12=&s13=0&s14=&s15=&s16=&s17=&s18=&s19=&s20=

Good Luck,
    Brian

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what thickness tube did you use?

7. msuforeman

msuforeman Newbie

I just told them I wanted 3/4" thin walled tubing and that is what they gave me. I guess to answer your question--I'm really not sure.

Brian

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just built one and put it on. I used 7\8" o.d. x .065" tubing. Pretty light weight. As far as mounting I made plates that are 2" square x .125 inch thick with a hole in each corner and put six of them on the rack. That may have been a little overkill on the mounting but it seemed good at the time. I will try and get some pictures of it developed. I also incorporated a light bar into it and my CB/scanner antennas will be attached to it. Like the other guy said I don't intend to put anything really huge up there. Maybe camping gear or duck decoys or something like that. Try to get those pics...

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey Bronco guy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The rack looks nice. How do you keep the hinge pins from sliding out? That's really neat idea. I'm about to build one of 1" square stock and I doubt I'll keep it on full time. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Like my Blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

By the way Zakk, it's been awhile since I hung out here. GONZO rules! HAve you ever seen "Where the Buffalo Roam"? Bill Murray is great!

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nope i haven't seen that. is that based on a HST book?

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's kind of a mix of Fear and Loathing in Vegas and On the Campaign Trail mixed. It blows the Johhny Depp movie away except for the special FX. The guy that plays the dad on Everone Loves Raymond plays Lazlo ( I think) Bill Murray is Gonzo. It may be hard to find. It was made in the late 70's.

13. msuforeman

msuforeman Newbie

Jimmyjack----I drilled and tapped the side of the hinge and just added a set screw. When I want to take the roof rack off I just take out the 4 set screws and slide out the pins and the rack comes right off.

Brian

14. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Here's a retail job on a steel roof
    [​IMG]

15. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I like that idea a lot, I was thinking of using the square tubing and maybe some unistrut.Thanks for the info and the pics....rack looks nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

When my Jimmy was my dad's he had a roof rack on it and put a lot of heavy stuff on it, propane suplies etc. Had no problem with it. Also had a rack thing off the hitch with a few hundred pounds on it, plus a big ice cooler etc. inside. Maybe that's why I had to repace the rear springs because some were cracked...

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Take a look at mine in the Gallery. It slides under the hardtop. Its a bought unit... dont ask me from where, but its super strong.

Mike