Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! - Bumpers.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by theitalian404, Dec 24, 2005.

1. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Hi, as most know...I blew my 305...and my K10 is sitting til' my 350 is built. Well...the other day I took of my bent, and twisted stock front bumper...and my rear bumper. I need some advice...what to put on, make...whatever. I mainly do trails, mud bogs, and some rock climbing when I come across it. I have a 85 K10 on 6 inches of lift, sitting on 35's. So, this is what im thinking of doing. Running no rear bumper, just some 2x4 channel, with a 2 1/2" square reciever traight to my rear fame rails. My truck doesn't have a towing package so this will be my substitute. When it comes to getting recovered from the rear on a trial....I got a big hitch with a 9 inch d-rin on it! And in the front, running a custom built tube'd bumper, welded to my frame...and 2 shackles. (Don't worry about a winch plate...I hate winches, and don't wanna drop $600-up on a winch when I have a billion friends with 4x4's.) I don't wanna run a rear bumper cause I think they are ugly, and all I need is a shackle to pull people out, and I'm tired of my bumper plowing the dirt on steep inclines. Get back with opinions. BTW, my truck is a DD, but Ga. state law doesn't recquire a rear bumper on 1/2 ton and up. And, I live in a little PO-Dunk town, and everyone keeps to themselves.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  2. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try that button called "Search"

Bumper's been talked about for years.

4. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

dont weld your bumper to your frame. you'll be sorry when you bend it into your tire and can't take it off.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you hate winches? what did they ever do to you..

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

X2 you'll want to change it someday and the welding will weaken the frame.

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

:eek1:
    how if done properly will welding weaken the frame... Are you saying weld in steering box kits weaken the frame also:rolleyes: My front is welded on and if for some reason I decide to change it its nothing a grinder and plasma can't do.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sounds like you have a good idea already on what you want to do.

you can weld the bumper right to the frame but i wouldent, when i built my i had 3/4 plate bolted to the frame, that the tube whent through, and ten used them for my shackel mounts, makes a good strong mount and clevis location.
    [​IMG]

but its your truck do what you think looks good, glad you have the 4x suport my area the real wheelers are few and far between