Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Can't pass emissions with my 350 TPI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Mar 23, 2002.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Help! Can\'t pass emissions with my 350 TPI

I can't get my 84 K5 with a 88 350 TPI to pass emissions. I was a little over on the CO reading (52 when passing is 48) the first time I went thru emissions. So I turned my adjustable pressure reg down thinking it was running a little fat(rich), and now I'm failing HC and CO (48 is passing and now it is 112) at almost double what is acceptable. If I turn the regulator back up I don't know what will happen. It's $27 for 2 tests and I have had three. If I fail again I will have to pay again. I don't want to fund the EPA.

I rebuilt the motor in 2000 and put an little larger Compucam in desigened for the TPI. It requires a adjustble fuel pressure reg. The directions for the adjustable reg are very vague. It tells you to start with a baseline reading from the factory set up, then adjust according to drivablity. Runs terrable at idle, turn reg down or less fuel, runs bad at high rpm more pressure/fuel.

I changed the plugs and ran good fuel, cleaned the air cleaner.

I need help This is pissing me off

Thanks Michael

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Help! Can\'t pass emissions with my 350 TPI

I would give Arizona TPI a call and describe your situation. They have been helpful to me. Phone 480 921-2500

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Gotta have more info...............are you running closed loop (with O2 sensor)? Do you have a scanner (such as an AutoXray) to check out things such as the O2 readings?

Did you put a 350 chip/TPI setup in when you did the conversion? Is it a 305 setup? Does it have 19 lb/hr injectors or 24 lb/hr injectors? Are you MAF or Speed Density?

Sorry for all the questions, but my TPI went through Oregon DEQ with flying colors - something is WRONG with your setup............how long have you been TPI?

Anyway, try to put a bit more info in and I'll try to help ya.........I suggest a scanner for sure, regardless of whether you pass DEQ or not.

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

carbon monoxide formation goes up almost exponentially RIGHT at the 14.7:1 stoichiometric ratio as it starts to run rich. 15:1 and higher (LEAN) and there is less than 2% CO in the exhaust stream.

undoubtedly you're running rich, what other factors are involved is hard to say but it sounds like you have some good help here.

if you were just failing HC's then Id probably give the old "when all else fails- install a cat" speech but I dont think this will fix your problem.. good luck

mike

5. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Ed at AZ TPI help me out a lot with my wiring harness back in 1991 when it was real hard to convert TPI to other applications.
    I have the complete motor from the 1988 camaro 350 including, ECU, harness injectors, fuel pump, MAF, air pump, and all accessories and drive pulleys.I also run a K & N air filter, dual cats(My buddy own a muffler shop so the cats are good)

I have not hooked any monitor up to the ECU.

Before motor rebuild I ran 22 CO out of a possible 48 CO.

Still need lots of help

Thanks in advance
    Michael

6. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

10 bottles of fuel line cleaner(Isopropyl Alcohol) and 1/8 to 1/4 tank of gas!!!
    Works great for me! Only about 10.00 at autozone ...

Shane-

7. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Run low octane gas! Burns quicker so less goes out your exhaust, vs. high octane burns slower. Also there is some addative that is supposed to make you pass. But all said and done if you get this problem figured out you will be running better in the long run.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Retard your timing.

9. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

Where are you located? I'm a Tech and if you are local to me I might be able to help you out.

10. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

From what you have listed and what you are describing, there is something wrong. Have you checked for any codes? Are your O2's reading normal, (i.e. bouncing between ~.2-.9 Volts)?

Are you still running the Carbon Canister? If so, make sure that you are below about 1/4 tank of gas before you go for testing. Otherwise, you could have high HC's. Another tip is to make sure that the engine is warm and add some alcohol to the fuel tank. The alcohol will help some, but it really helps out the guys with BIG cams.

Has this setup passed emissions before?