Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Cant start my truck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 1, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the key cylinder broke in my steering column just now, and i gotta drive somewhere. how do i hotwire my truck?

2. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

one wire-

Hotwiring is easy- but you need to use the key to unlock the wheel and send power to everything.
    To hot wire- there is a purple wire running into the column harness- hit that with 12 volts and it will start up. If you have to break the key cylinder- make sure that the rod running down the inside of the column to the ignition switch at the bottom of the column is engaged. Let me know if you need anything else--- good luck

By the way, I am assuming this is an older style chevy

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

colby, are you sure its the cylinder? it coulda been the rake at the end of the ignition rod.... i spent the time putting a cylinder in a buddies truck one night at 9pm as advanced was closing and it turned out to be a broken rake..

4. colbystephens

well, the whole ignition isn't working - i don't have power in an "on" position. what do i do? can someone call me and walk me thru this? i really need to get on the road. i'm pretty dumb about wiring.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i would if i had working ignition in mine to advise off of... but currently my truck has no column...

good luck bro...

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

On top of the colum find the ignition switch. You might have to drop the steering wheel to access it properly. It's not hard to drop it a few inches. Remove the ignition switch, notice where the rod enter the switch (bottom). Now all you have to do is use a small screw driver or alen wrench to control the ignition, you can "feel" the correct posistions for starting and such.

Your only problem will be unlocking your wheel, which requires some destruction or a wheel puller. If you have a autoparts store near by they should carry the wheel puller and lock ring remover for cheap. You'll need some small nut drivers a phillips screw driver and some medium wrenchs or sockets (did you remember your tool box?). Now take your time and start disasembling the wheel. You will find a screw that holds in your ignition cylinder, unscrew and pull it out. Now you can unlock you wheel with a flat head driver. If you went through all of this go ahead and start the truck with driver as well (forget the first paragraph).

Once you have the tools it should take about ten min.

Now for the quick and dirty. Go to your parts store and buy a dent puller, the slide kind with a screw at the end. Screw in and pull out the cylinder, insert flat head driver. Gone in 60 seconds:wink1: .

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

You can also take a BFH to the colum right above the cylinder and bash it out.

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

funny, I didn't see this post till now.

9. colbystephens

well, makovai got me set up such that i've got a running truck w/ lights. now, all i gotta do is figure out how to get blinkers, dash guages and wipers working. :) at least i've got a cool second ignition now that i can hide. :D