Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! CARB or WHAT?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecreipevad, Aug 27, 2001.

1. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

Over the weekend I went to Nevada to play golf and gamble, and on my way home my blazer started bucking and backfiring, and eventually died. Luckily, only blocks from my house. That was about 2:00 p.m. Then at 11:30 p.m. when I left for work, I went outside and it started right up. This happened about three months ago, too and I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition module and had the carb rebuilt. Any one have any ideas what would cause this? Thanks in advance

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Try the fuel filter. Proably have some crud in the tank and it's plugging the filter.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmmmmm....... Do you have a 305? If you do, there's a REALLY good chance that the cam lobe that runs your fuel pump has worn down and the rod that "powers" the mechanical pump can't exert enough pressure on the pump diaphragm. This causes vapor lock, especially after you slow down to city speeds after driving on the highway for a while.

I went through 4 fuel pumps in a year before a friend told me that he had to put an electric pump on to eliminate his constant vapor locking. I installed one the next weekend and haven't had a problem since- that was over 7 years ago now. I installed a Carter two-stage electric pump back by the tank and pulled the mechanical pump off.

My symptoms were just like yours.........after driving on the highway for a while, I'd get into stop and go traffic, and within a few minutes, buck, buck, snort, cough, dead. If I left it for a while until the truck cooled down, she would start right away. The only way to get her started right away was to prime the carb with a little gas to "draw" the vapor lock out.

Anyhow, I'll bet you a beer it's your pump. Your story is too similar to mine.

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just got back from a week of holidays- did you ever figure out what the problem was?

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Heh. Dealing with same problem. Replaced fuel pump, no more problems for about 1 week. Going up a pass in Central Oregon last weekend, decided to do it again. Ended up going about 5MPH in 1st gear, and for the first time ever, it died on me.

Pulled (backed) off the freeway, onto a soft shoulder, and popped the air cleaner. Hit the accelerator (truck still wouldn't start) and had my finger down in the primaries. Sure enough, no fuel. I'm 99.7% sure that its actually a sticky float that is causing this intermittent problem. As soon as I back off the throttle, most all the time, the problem disappears.

Complex story, but I turned the truck around via the starter (have I ever said manual trannies rule??) and coasted downhill about a mile in 2nd gear, before the truck finally compression started again on its own. NO problems since then.

If your truck is TBI, I apologize, but this was as good a thread to post my experience as any.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen