Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help-charging problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Dec 29, 2002.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

My stock wiring is toast so I am redoing it. Here is what I did; I ran a large gauge wire from the charging lug on the alternator to the positive battery terminal, another wire from from the charging lug to the battery spade connecter on the alternator and a ground wire to the ground spade connector.
    The alternator put out 14.7 volts at the lug before I re-wired it and now only the 12 volts it is getting from the battery.
    Any ideas for solving the problem?
    Thanks,
    David /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

What ground spade! Disconnect the Brown wire going to the alternater! Or where the brown wire was!!!!!!! That goes to the guage! Try that first! the left spade, or the one the little red wire was going too, run a second wire to the battery, or piggytail it off the large one! That's the sensor wire! You should only need two wires running to the alternator, they're both red, the ground is through the chasis, or a large black wire running tothe bracket that holds the alternator, but not on the alternator! Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

OK, so the "g" on the back is for gauge. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    The alternator should be excited from the 12 volt wire going to the "i" spade from the charging lug. The charging lug is connected directly to the positive battery terminal.
    Am I close?
    David