Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help choose a muffler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Jan 22, 2006.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I need to quiet my exhuast, currently I have stock manifolds that collect into a single three inch flowmaster (model unknown) that dums down after the axle, also I have no cat.

I cant handle the constant noise. I would like to still hear it a little when I get in it but just not so loud. I am thinking of getting the flowmaster 70 series but they are so big and cost a lot.

what else should I be looking at.

BTW mine is a multi purpose rig seeing a little of everything

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I personaly have a Series 50 muffler. I LOVE how it sounds. under acceleration it sounds great and if you realy get on it... Well I like it. at idle you can hear it but just cruisin its actually pretty quiet.

I run 2 1/4 pipe into the muffler then a 3" out dumping in front of my Lf Rear tire.

Tomorrow i can post a sound thing if you want. Its 9 right now and probaly wouldnt be the best time to do a Muffler uhh Sound clip i guess lol

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

where is the muffler mounted? if under the cab then move it past the back of the cab. this will be better as it wont resinate under the floor. and also get it to dump out a actual pipe from under the body as this will make it sound louder. my friend has the same truck as me and same exaust with same mufflers. his is just dumps from mufflers to under the box. and it is much louder than mine that exits the sides of my box at the rear.

4. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I should have mentioned that I have a blazer and not a truck. My muffler is mounted in front of the rear axle it then has about 1/1/2 ft of 3 in pipe that dumps out behind the rear axle on the drivers side. I plan to exit it out the side after I put on new muffler to help with sound thanks for the replies keep em coming

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you dont need a new muffler... move it back a little, run the exhaust up over the axle, and exit it out the side. you should be good then.

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i just put a set of super 40's on my truck, i had original 40's before and i have no drone from the mufflers at all now

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ive got a 91 burb with all stock 3" exaust tube, no cat, and a 3:flowmaster 40. (yes it goes all the way out the side behind the back tire, like factory) And mine is to loud for me. On the highway I like it alot but i hate it in the city. its just do damn loud. Im going to try iether stickin a glass pack in before it (like a resonator) or just ditch the flowmaster and get a regular old 3" turbo muffler. In conclusion If its too loud for you now its still going to be too loud with or without the full length tail pipe, and the flowmaster.

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

just turn the stereo up:D ooo and if its too loud your too old :D

9. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I had this same set up exiting out the side before and it was too loud for me then. So I would like to find a quiet muffler I would rather it be too quiet then too loud.

anybody ever try using the glass pack as a resonator that sounds interesting.

what other mufflers are going to be quiet

10. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

For a mellower tone in a quality muffler I like the Magnaflow. check 'em out.

11. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status