Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help:Choosing a Lift Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 30, 2000.

Alright, I know that this is the second time I'm asking this and I don't mean to repeat myself but, I really need to get some opinions about Lifts. I'm trying to go for a four inch lift on my 88 and not spend a fortune. The Blazer is a daily driver with some off road use. Now, I have no idea about whats involved or what types of mods I might have to do to make everything work. If any of yinz guyz can give me you feelings about what companies you like(Ranch, Pro comp..etc) or about what I'm looking at as a price I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    <font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well I went with a Superlift 6" kit on mine because according to the guys on the p"hone I bought it from, I would have to do the same mods for 4 as I would for a 6" i.e. steering arm, drag link, relocation of break lines and so on. I also went with a Superide version and haven't been happier.

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to put a 6" Superlift on my '87 Jimmy. I had a 4" Superlift that never made it on my truck. I had to sell it to fix my BEAST. I have heard great responses to the Superlift line. Many of the people I know here in Wichita, including the Ground Pounders, say it's the only way to go. Superlift offers the big kits, but what you choose is up to you. I heard Rancho is good, but I'm going to stick with Superlift. Either way a lifted truck RULZ the road!!

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Is there a difference as far as driveshaft mods between a 4-inch and a 6-inch lift? I heard that there were no mods needed for a 4-inch.
    Thanks!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. Christian Talley

Christian Talley Registered Member

About an hours drive southwest of Chicago, out in
    I am looking for the same thing for my '84 JIMMY. A four inch lift, so that I can run 33 inch BFG Mudders. I am going to go with a Rough Country kit out of the JC Whitney catolog. For a 4 inch kit for an '88 is gonna run you $264.99, plus shipping, unless you live close to a warehouse. The kit includes front leaf springs with urethane bushings, U-bolts, and rear blocks with U-bolts. It may not be the best quality, but for the money I want to spend,and I don't do a ton a four-wheeling. You will also need to get a drop down steering arm. They have these on the same page as the lift kit for $54.98 for a 1988. If you have a catolog, it's all on page 50. They guarantee the prices through April 30. I live a half an hour from the new midwest warehouse, so I can go and pick up mine myself whenever. That is one of the bigger reason that I chose this kit. Being such big and heavy items shipping will kill you. Hope that helps, and let us know what you finally end UP with.

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I went with a 4 inch lift kit and a 1 inch ORD body lift to clear 35 BFG M/T's on my 87 jimmy. Originally I had a skyjacker kit with blocks in the rear but I replaced the blocks with a shackle flip from ORD a few years back. I would NOT recommend skyjacker springs. They don't flex very well and are alot rougher ride than my buds tuff country springs (72 fullsize). I decided on the 4 inch kit because I wanted to try and keep the driveline mods to a minimum. The body lift gave me just enough room to not have to cut the fenders too much. 4 inches is plenty for 33's (had some but sold them to get 35's). Hope this helps some.

BIGJ

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I run a Skyjacker 4" Softride set up, all four new springs, and mine flexes great. It flexes enough that I had to hack the front fenders back to the inner wheelwell to fit 35x12.50's on stock rims. It also rides better than stock. I bought it from Nat Wheel & Tire about a year ago. I also got shocks (of course), a raised steering arm, and a transfer case lowering kit. Even thought I bought the lowering spacers I didn't install them until the vibes started to worry me, about a week later. Since then I have also added longer brake lines and a new front drive shaft. I am also going to add 1 1/2" blocks to the rear to even things out a bit. The initial lift purchase ran about $800, including shipping to my house. One finial note, I actually gained about 5" of lift with the 4" system, but the springs will most likely settle down some. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have 4" Skyjacker softride front springs. With the sway bar disconnected, I had to slightly trim the fenders to keep 33x12.50's from rubbing. The on-road ride is as good if not better than stock.

8. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

What exactly does a transfer case lowering kit do? if u do a shackle flip do u have to do this? how hard is it to install a transfer lowering kit and how much do they cost

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well because our vehicles actually have shorter wheel base than even the chevy short box pickup a driveline mod was made. They said 4" wouldnt need it, but talking to a blazer owner who had a 4" rancho on his. he did it and didnt have too many problems.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The transfercase lowering kit is four spacers that go between the crossmember and frame. Mine are 1" long and made of aluminum. This points the rear of the transfercase down. It also points the front up, so if you are using a full time case w/o a double u-joint at the top it is not a great idea. Hope this clears things up, Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC