Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Clear this up for me...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, May 21, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ok guys and gals... I have taken in so much advice and knowledge on lifts from so many different sources... and hopefully my ORD stuff and wheels show up so I can finally get this 6" BDS lift on....BTW going w/ blocks in the rear (till I get more funds for rear springs) ,BDS shocks, and 1" zero rate in the rear also.

First off, who is running the degree shims in the front? I got some in my kit and I would really like to avoid using them for the nasty alignment reasons.... Glen @ BDS says try not to use it and the shop I got the lift from says I'll have to use it. Those guys w/ them, did you have to reset everything and put different shims on the each side for the caster?

Second is on the t-case drop... Dropping it eases the rear driveshaft angle, but increases the angle of the front (thus probably forcing the shim up front)...correct? Just wanna double check.

Three... I have a 1" spacer coming for the front shaft... But the rear is gonna need an additional 2" or so? Seems that I'm so sick of vibrations and would like to go through a few less u-jt's so I could fork out an extra 100 over the lengthen job and just get a CV shaft... then could leave the t-case to ease the frt shaft angle and hopefully eliminate the shims and should be good to go in the rear as well?

Any thoughts so I don't have to backtrack and redo things would be appriciated. I just have way too much bouncing in my head right Now LOL.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

ok cc,i have the shim in mine and im going to take it out.IMO it kills the caster angle and makes the rig kinda squirrly.id rather have a safe handling ride than anything.ill deal w/ any potential driveshaft problems if they arise.OR ive been thinking that a set of longer shackles would put the pinion back down where it belongs,and in turn restore the proper caster angle.its kinda hard to make it to the trail or mud hole if your on your roof on the road because of an ill handling truck.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I might be able to help ya' out with a few of these.

1. Not 100% sure about the degree shims in the front, but every 6" kit I have ever seen installed has had degree shims. Everybody said that the front driveline vibrations were bad without it.

2. You are correct. Dropping the t-case decreases the angle in the rear and increases it in the front.

3. I wish I would have bought a c/v shaft instead of buying a new shaft without a c/v. I have some vibrations now b/c the angles aren't just right with 4" of lift. When I install my 6" lift it will only get worse. The pinion is in a straight line from the axle now anyway b/c of the shackle flip. So, yes, you probably won't have to drop the t-case if you do a c/v. Where did you get your BDS springs?

BIGJ

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" lift, and I can't get it to align. I've taken it to the shop several times, and messd with it myself, and it always pulls to the right pretty hard. I dont know if shims are the way to go or not, but its really annoying. Maybe a drop pitman arm will help, even if it doesn't, I need one anyway. Just my $.02

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. CaptCrunch

I got my BDS springs from Ken's 4x4 up in Ramsey MN. They had great prices and I could pick them up so no shipping costs. Solowookie also ended up getting his kit from them as well. They're good guys and they have just a zoo of offroad and mud trucks. Both the owner's son (Dave) and one of their technicians each have a K5... both also have over 10" of lift too.

I'm still pondering the shim deal... I'm kinda figuring out the angles in my head and don't see how it wouldn't give a vibe w/out a double... But I'll ponder more under the truck on that one.

The interesting thing I have seen looking back in the posts seems to be that if you run a shackle flip... vibes tend to follow. I'm sure there are some who didn't have this, but just seems to happen quite a bit. Doesn't matter to me cause I'll be doing some towing w/ mine. So I'll go rear springs.

Also I have been saying if a new/lengthen shaft is gonna run me 175 or 200... and a CV is about $300 or $325 locally... then why not just pay an extra hundo and be done w/ the probs since it is my daily driver and all. Heck have enough shelled out already why get cheap now LOL. Plus maybe I could jump down to a 2 degree shim instead of the 4 degree shim w/ the kit by notr lowering the tcase

[​IMG]

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you don’t already have a CV shaft, then putting a CV in means rotating the pinion up to point straight to the CV (or a few degrees low). I’m sure you know that but, just in case...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My .02 - go with the CV joint DL.

Capt. - Why go to springs for towing? If you did a shackle flip
    would your stock springs be too weak?
    Dave

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6" lift not four - DOH! Sorry for the dumb question Cap.

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I have a 6 inch National Spring lift. I have NO ISSUES with the front. But the back is pretty bad. I am getting the rear cut and welded on Wed. I can't wait to finally have a vibration free ride. I have the CV too. So in my case the CV did not solve the problem. Only welding will. Good Luck.

[​IMG]

10. CaptCrunch

Hey 96C4and91k5...

The shakle flip IMO is great for flex... which isn't very good when you need to tow a car trailer around. Plus another thing is I think it is a PIA to install. I have No real need to drop my fuel tank out and then battle my ole die grinder in there fighting the rivets [​IMG]. Alot of guys love it and rides great from what I hear... but this is a lifter chevy 4x4... not a caddy [​IMG]

[image]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/004/GV/pz/dx/ND55856.jpg[/image]

11. CaptCrunch

Big Blue...

did you use/ already have degree shims in the front?

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had those stupid degree shims on my old K5, and threw them away. They made it nearly impossible to get the alignment and steering right. I never dropped my TCase on either Blazer, and haven't had problems. The only vibration I've got is from poorly balanced wheels (knocking like hell on the desk).

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]

13. CaptCrunch

How much lift you running pugs? That is what I'm gonna try... no tcase drop and run a CV in the rear.