Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP: cold idle question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Jun 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so my tranny is burnt up, i'm not interested in attempting to drive it up and down this hill where my truck is parked, b/c if the tranny really goes, i'm not getting it back up that hill! my question is, tho, my truck will be sitting for a couple months, but i want to keep the engine oil circulated. how should i handle this situation. i've heard that idling a diesel cold is very bad - should i just remove the glow plugs and crank the starter for like 2 15 second intervals once a week? any thoughts?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

just run it...

My 6.2 has sat for months without being started with no problems..but I do try to start it up and let it run at a fast idle for at least 15 minutes to charge the batteries,and keep the seals from leaking due to rust,etc,every few weeks....its important to keep it running at least 15-30 minutes to let the oil fully warm up,and burn off any condensation..also to keep the water thats formed in the cylinders from a cold start out of the crankase and exhaust system..

I think the "idle" isn't THAT important,unless its cold out,then you could get a buildup of carbon if one cylinder doesn't fire properly..diesels run rather cold at idle,and unburned fuel can collect on cylinders and pistons,and cake up with a tar thats like polished black walnut,and can't be removed..but in CA,I doubt you'll have that trouble this time of year...and you just rebuilt it,so it should be clean as can be..

Leaving the glow plugs out might encourage rust to form in the cylinders...

I've seen a diesel in a bucket loader,that just got used sparingly in cold weather removing snow,and idled a lot,with few oil changes..when the motor had noisy bearings after a few years,when they pulled the oil pan off,the only part of the crankcase that was not covered with thick ,hard,tarry goo was the crank and rods,and the space they chopped out in the tar!..I was amazed how good they were running when I saw that!!!....the stuff had to be chisled out with a hammer and chisel!..the oil pump screen was 80% clogged too,but it showed good pressure on the gauge!....shows how tough a diesel can be!..:crazy:

3. colbystephens

well, it's not that cold here - but i'm in OR, not CA, so it's colder than i think you were thinking. Recently it's only averaging in the 60's outside.

4. diesel4me

same as here...

We have similar weather here,being on the same lattitude..only been in the 60's except for a few days near 90 this week..

I don't like letting my truck sit either,especially in our damp humid climate here where things rot away in record time..90% of my trucks "problems" like brake lines,tranny cooler lines,and body/frame are due to rust,not wear from use or abuse!..

I worry more about water getting in the fuel,and causing injector problems,than I do about the motor....

I wish I could drive it daily,but no money=no fuel!..but I feel letting it run for awhile is sufficient to keep things inside the motor well lubed...I've taken motors apart in junkyards that sat many years,and there was still oil coating the pistons,rocker arms,etc..never saw a rusty crankshaft,even in motors that had some water in the oil..your truck wont be "down" long enough to cause any real problems I bet..:crazy:

5. colbystephens

so if you were me, you'd not even start it? i think maybe i'll do it at least once a month. certainly a couple cold idles won't kill it.

6. diesel4me

I'd start it...

Start it,but let it run for 15-30 minutes to burn off all condensation in the oil and exhaust system,and build up some charge in the batterys...thats what I do...unless its going to sit a long time,anything more is unnessasary,in my opinion..

My trucks 6.2 is a transplant from a junkyard wreck..the former owner(s?) had the motor swapped in by a dealership,and their "expert" mechanics couldn't even get it to start!..they "didnt work on diesels much"..:rolleyes: ..

Who knows how long the engine sat in the boneyard??--and it sat at LEAST a year in the dealerships parking lot after the swap,until I ended up with it..

I have only put a few thousand miles on it since 2003 when I got it,and maybe 20 hours plowing time..its only been run maybe 10 hours this year so far!..the oil looks nice and clean,and it seems to run ok..I'm sure the injectors are not liking the long periods of downtime though...wish my 79 C10 would sell,so I could use the K20 more..I like the diesels mileage better,and its doing the body no justice letting it sit...:( ..