Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Colorado Residents?? Denver/Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rob 85K5, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tell me about these places, I have been looking for employment elsewhere with an option in Colorado Springs or Wheat Ridge in Denver.

Where are the nice neighborhoods for a decent house 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage.
    Housing Costs?
    General feel of this city?

This is for me to make decisions on all the options in front of me now, so please don't hold back
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Rob 85K5

Re: HELP!!! Colorado Springs Area Residents??

ttt

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

As far as C/S goes, those are all very difficult questions to answer. It all depends on what you can afford and where you want to live. There are nice as well as crappy housing areas all over. I suggest looking for a job forst and going from there. There is no sense in driving 80 miles to work. Anyway, if you ever make it this way, let us know. I'm sure Harry, myself, or some of the other locals could hook you up.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Rob 85K5

I have a telephone interview with Memorial Hospital in downtown CS and made a cut for a private hospital in the wheat ridge. I dont mind commuting 30-45 minutes.

I have other options, but I am looking for pro's and con's of this area.

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I used to live in P-cola and the cost of living there versus Denver is huge!! So bring bags of money. If you need any help PM me.

6. Rob 85K5

I realize that. The weird thing is that some cost of living calculators will show a slight increase while one or two show a 30% increase. I think it is a ploy by the jobfinder sites to drum up business.

7. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Hmmm... pretty open ended post. I was born and raised in Colorado Springs (at Penrose, not Memorial hospital /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif), went to minnesota for school, then moved to denver and now Boulder. I'm moving out of Boulder soon if all going according to plan.

I guess it'd help to know what you're looking for. In the absence of that, I'll use the opportunity to talk smack. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Personally I can't stand cracker box suburbs, and Denver and Colorado Springs are getting lost in a sea of them. But I also can't stand Boulder which is high real-estate prices condo (yuppie dorm) central. So I don't know.

[soapbox]
    Well, one thing that might not be immediately apparent in COS is local politics. Now I admit to being on the liberal end of the spectrum but I don't like being told what to do by any hippee crunchy dood. Nor do I like being told how to think by someone shoving their "Christian Family Values" down my throat. For several years in the early 90s, COS had the honor of being the "Christian Fundamentalist Capital of the world" -- more chrisitan fundmentalist organizations HQ'd there than any other place. Now it's not that I think christianity is bad, but zealot extremists of any nature (christian, muslim, liberal, etc) are bad news IMHO. Then you have Colorado College, which is a bastion (albeit a tiny one) of bleeding heart libralism. Then throw in Fort Carson (army), Air Force Academy, NORAD. (I'm not trashing our armed forces here, just observing.) What happens, IMO, is that all this political extremism or self-rightuousness or gang mentality or whatever ends up creating a populace with some edgy tempers. COS is a relatively small town (what, 300K now?) but has some pretty nasty sh!t for no real reason. At least it seemed that way growing up, JMHO. Seems like people overreact a lot. Overall, there's probably less crime than Denver metro. Dunno. Might have mellowed a bit since I lived there...
    [end soapbox]

But, geographically, I think COS is in a great place. I mean, you get a 14K foot mountain visible from most parts of the city. Great temperate weather IMO. Less crowds than denver metro.

Don't know too much about the Wheat Ridge area.

cheers,
    Kevin

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Rob,
    Wheatridge is nice as in every town you have good and bad parts but all in all a great place to live. I work with two people from Florida and the say this is the best place
    on earth to live kinda food for thought there. Also here in Colo you have seasons which is nice Im from Hawaii and they
    dont have seasons its warm all year round. There is alot to do out here 4wheeling,boating, hiking,mtbiking and a lot more. I would say this is a grate place to live also my wife sells home so if you would like I could get her to send you some info on housing costs.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo