Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Computer Controlled Quadrajet Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rigdonhome, Jun 13, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Hey!

I've rebuilt more than my fair share of Qjets, but never a 'Feedback' or 'Computer Controlled' version. Always junked them instead.

However, I'm in a budget crunch and am swapping a 1985 Chevy Van Motor into a non-computer car. I have a non-computer HEI but no goood Qjet.

1) What does the computer control inside the Qjet, if anything?
    2) Are the electronics 'feedback only' for the computer, meaning that they send info to the computer only but the computer does not actually adjust the carb at all?
    3) What happens if you just unplug the damn thing? Will it still function? This is no show vehicle and the motor isn't great anyway, so if it runs at all I'll be happy until I can find a good Qjet to replace it with. I just need it running ASAP even if it doesn't run 'Good'...

Thanks!!!
    Scott

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I had an 84 Trans Am with a computer controlled quadrapuke. I unplugged all of the electronics while trying to track down an electrical gremlin and it still ran fine. I think the computer just leans things out while on cruise mode to get more MPG. Ask around. I'm sure someone is willing to part with an old quadrajet. I've got one here you could have, but I'm in Hawaii.

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

It will still run without the electronics hooked up, might just have a shaky idle.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You will get TERRIBLE mileage with it.

Had one on a 307 Olds with a bad ECM, 10MPG cruising on the freeway. (with OD and going 60!)

The computer controls the primary mixture. Without power, the system "fails" to full rich. My car ran fine without it, besides the horrid mileage.

You can't convert them to the older style FWIW.

Also, throwing these away isn't that great of an idea, anyone with an 80's car that they want to keep "stock" needs these, and a lot of them want to keep the stock carb but have one to rebuild. The TPS and MC solenoid alone aren't cheap new.