Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Computer making noises

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 23, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My computer just started emitting a noise that sounds like a siren. Sounds like the sirens used on British emergency vehicles. And its really loud!

When it first started, I thought the computer was gonna try to pull me over and give me a ticket at my desk! To my knowledge..I havent done anything illegal.

Anyone know what it can be? I have to shut it down now before the noise drives me nuts.

2. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

when dose it happen, what did you do to it recently? more info. Somtimes holdong down a button when it isnt nessasary will make a beep and a stuck button will scream while boot up

3. mountainexplorer

All I did was start uploading pics into webshots. It started going off like a siren so I shut it down. I came back about 25 minutes later, restarted it, started uploading more photos online, and within about 2 minutes of being on, it started making noise again.

Temp. reading was up near 210 when it started, but went back down to 145, but its still going off like a siren. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

check the fan

5. mountainexplorer

I got it restarted again...it does sound like the fan. It's making noises like the bearing is going out...almost pulsating and growling.
    Sounds like a Chevy heater blower motor that's worn out.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My old puter made a funky whinney noise when the fan was going out. Good thing about fans is they are easy enough to swap and cheap enough...

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got to be a fan,only moving parts in puter.Well not counting disc drives.my bets on a fan.

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yep.... It's prolly the CPU fan... Those things can make all kinds of funny noises. Open your puter up, turn the puter on and when it starts making the noise put your finger in the middle of the little fan to slow it down. This is not the fan in your power supply. If the noise changes or goes away you need a new CPU fan...

9. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Things that will cause noises from your PC.
    Battery for clock dead (usually a beeping noise)
    Bad video card
    Bad memory

Different motherboards make different sounds. Find out your motherboard model # and see if you can find out online which sound means what.

10. mountainexplorer

Thanks everyone for the info. This morning, I went to turn the computer on and it started howling horribly, so I shut it off again. I pulled the fan out and it looked dirty/dusty, but seemed to spin freely. I cleaned some dirt/dust off it and put it back in, figuring I'd have to replace it.

I started the computer again just to see if I could get online without it being too noisy, and now for some reason its as quiet and smooth as it was quite a while ago. Weird...I didnt think a little dust would make that much of a deal.

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm guessing that theres a sticker in the middle of the fan... there is on every one that I've seen. Pull the sticker off and there will be a little hole there. Put a few drops of oil in there (not a lot, I use a toothpick to drip a little in) replace the sticker and your good to go.