Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help converting engine to roller

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Sep 20, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

gotta 87 k5 with tbi, and no power so im stroken it to 383, and i would like it roller, so what all is roller on a roller engine, i was gonna buy like a vortech engine with nothing but heads and block, and whatever roller pieces i need, but not if i just have to replace them all due to a bigger cam and stroken it and all... if i did an old block and converted it to roller, i think i need: cam, rockers, lifters, rods... what else, thanks a lot, please talk to me like im in 6th grade, cuz i hate it when i have no idea whats goin on /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif thanks again....

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

need lifters, spiderweb retainer thing, and rods likely. But those could change dependent on heads I think. Roller just refers to the lifters on the cam. Need to put a Bronze drive gear on your distributor as well. If I were building a roller small block Chevy I would go with a stock roller motor and lifters. Heard some bad things about those aftermarket setups I just don't know, OEM quality is fine.

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Your 87 is all ready a roller engine block you will need to buy a roller lifter kit from some one I would use SDPC2000.com it will run you around 250 for the kit it comes with the liffters and the retainers and the bolts for the retainer. you will also need new push rods the correct lengt and last a roller cam I would also sugest a cam button so the cam does not walk. Thats it. you sould save a few dollers if you get the retainers for the lifters from a core engine from the salvage yard and new chevy V8 from a car will have them but it is a lot esyer to spend the 40 for them new. If you need the part numbers for this stuff PM and I will get them for you I have all of these parts new at home Im using a block from a 95 chevy truck and putting a roller cam in it. So I have all the part numbers at home.
    Earl

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is your 95 really ready for roller stuff? I thought it had like the dimples where the holes for the spiderweb are but you had to drill them.