Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help cracked steering box..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Mar 14, 2003.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

today i just realized my the front end of my truck was steering so sh|ty..the steering box in just flexing along with the frame...whats the best solution for this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Bummer ...

It's a common problem with our trucks.

Offroad Design has everything you need to fix/prevent this problem.

You may also find different types of brace kits at your local parts shop.

4. FatBoyBlazer

which one is better weld on or bolt on

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If your frame is already cracked, you will need the weld in/on style. The bolt on braces are made to help strengthen the area around the box to keep it from cracking. If you are planning on big tires one day, I would get the weld in kit as well as the bolt in one. If you are just running stock or close to stock tires, the weld in kit should be fine (assuming it is installed by a competent welder).

6. FatBoyBlazer

have you done one of these before?(weld in type)....i've got 35 12.5 tires.....

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    which one is better weld on or bolt on

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert on Offroad Designs stuff but I have used the weld-in plate (also available from many other parts shops) on a couple trucks (before they cracked) and it held up great.

But after the frame has been cracked I would think it would take more than a simple plate to hold everything in place. If mine was already cracked I would get both.

I'm gonna add the brace in my Suburban when I got to a larger tire .... just to be safe.

Why don't you post this question in OffRoad Design's forum?

You should get some good answers there.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've done both (had somebody else do the welding). On the 78 the frame was already cracked. Once the frame is cracked the bolt on brace will still allow it to flex (not good), on my 80 with no cracks I put the brace on to help keep it from cracking.

There are people who have still cracked their frame with the bolt on brace (usually undertorqued bolts or just way too much pressure from tires, rocks, etc). The bolt on brace triangulates the box, frame, and crossember, but it can still break under abuse.

For a frame that is already cracked.....weld in brace at least, no doubt about it, and if you want "added" protection, use the bolt in brace as well. With the two of them installed properly, you should not have to worry about that being the weak spot.