Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! D60, wheels/caliper grinding question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Sep 9, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Going 1 ton, I need new wheels, but want to keep my existing 35x12.5x15 tires.

If I grind my calipers, can I run an aluminum 15x10 8 lug, or will I have to use a steel wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You need steel. No manufacturers make a 15" aluminum 8 lug. It wouldn't fit because aluminum needs to be thicker than steel, and you'd have to grind so much you'd be into the guts of the caliper.

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions for a good wheel? I'd like to find something other than the traditional "wagon wheel" type.

Kinda like the pacer streetlocks, but they're not available in 8 lug...

Yeah, wasn't thinking about the 15" aluminum. May be best to sell my 15"/35x12.5 combo, and go to a 16" aluminum/tire combo. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

going 16" would certainly be easier.

The only limitation is that you have a somewhat more limited selection of tires to choose from.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look on summits website they have a U.S. Wheel 70 series wheel in a 8 lug 15x10. I had a set they worked good for me ant they are cheap. I paid $115 shipped IIRC. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The only way that you might be able to run an aluminum wheel is to change the brakes. I know that www.wagonermachine.com sells a 15" wheel brake kit for the 60s, not sure if it will accomodate an aluminum wheel or not, but it's a start. The problem with this is that you end up with smaller brakes, negating one of the benefits of the 60. </font>

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I used Bart Super Trucker wheels from Summit Racing. 15x10, 3.5" backspacing, white, with a buncha round holes spaced around the center. $66 a pop. They look nice, but of course after I bought them, I heard a few bad things from the tire shop about them not being round etc.

Anyway, I don't have a hundred miles on them yet, but the shop did mount and balance TSL Radial Super Swampers on the wheels, and they had no problem. The truck drives real nice at slow and highway speeds so far.

I'd post a link to the wheel in the online Summit catalog, but I'm a computer retard.

8. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Found a US Wheel chrome steel 15x10 with a 8x6.5 bolt pattern on the US Wheel website. The "Tracker 071-041" Sim beadlock in black or chrome. I think this will work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is the correct backspacing for the D60/15" wheel setup, with the calipers ground to fit?

Thanks for all the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Byron

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

You can run whatever backspacing you want or is available. The less backspacing you have, the less grinding you will need on your calipers. More backspacing=more grinding.

But there is more to it than that. Smaller amount of backspacing, like 3.5", shifts the wheel out of the fenderwell away from the frame. Large amounts of backspacing, like 5", moves the wheel inboard toward the frame.

Generally, less backspacing can strain things like bearings and kingpins, more backspacing is easier on those components.

Hope this helps!