Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help decode this carb ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, Apr 26, 2005.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just picked up another Q-jet from a buddy. I was gonna do a rebuild and decided to decode the carb and see what I got. I feel stupid now. It doesn't make sense to me! Take a look at this and see what you get puleeeese? I am no brain giant, but I've had no trouble in the past, I'm hoping this is just one big brain fart! lol

carb id:

Thanks all. :saweet: :screwy: :eek: :bow:

2. docgab

No takers? ttt

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

This is my favorite question on this site, because I actually know how to answer you...

I'm going to guess that your "54" in the number should be an 84, since there was not a year where 54 was used. Anyway, your carb was manufactured after 1976, more specifically, in 1984.

I'm also going to assume that the first nine should be a 2 (for 48 state legal) as I can't find any other reference to it...

The 2 means it is from a Chevy originally.

The second 9 means it had a manual transmission.

4. docgab

First off, thanks for your response! :grin: An 84 in place of the 54 would make sense, but it is a 54, I've checked many times now thinking I have written it down incorrectly. First part that threw me off. lol

Second part that threw me off, the only thing I have found on it is from dyeager's page I think here
    that states a 9 means "special" Anyone know what special might mean?

Yup, that was the only part that made sense to me. :-) I do appreciate your help. :cool1:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I looked that number up too, couldn't really make sense of it myself.

I wonder if special is something like a boat application or a service replacement, although I wouldn't think the service replacements would even be stamped.

There have been carbs like this before that the numbers "defy definition" but I'm sure somewhere in GM's schemes it makes sense. :)

6. docgab

Hey, thanks for dropping in! All I gotta say is whew to not being able to ID it. I thought I was even more stupid than I really am. :p: I guess I can just tear it down and clean it up for the practice. lol

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Here you go!---17054929 Right??

I found your carb # in my "Standard/Hygrade" carb kit book.(it was rainy sunday and I was bored!--tried posting this yesterday but the site went down around 5pm!)...according to the book its used in various 73-79 GM cars and trucks,and some "Pleasurecraft" boats too!--my Tomco rebuilt carb book says its a 74 Chevy truck application..here's the numbers in "Standard/Hygrade" brand for the kits and parts..

Carb Kit#-- 1585A
    Accelerator Pump#-- R64-335
    Choke Pull Off#-- CPA-127
    Float#-- FL-1
    Pump Kit #-- PK-4

Hope that helps you out!... :crazy: