Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Help Design" a new D60 Cross Over Steering Arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 45acp, Mar 24, 2003.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

\"Help Design\" a new D60 Cross Over Steering Arm

I am interested in designing a new “Crossover Steering Arm” for my Dana 60 and if it works we would then put into production for everyone. My thoughts for needed improvements are as follows but this is where I need your help. Correct me where I’m wrong and give me your ideas of what you think is needed. This will not be an economy design, I am interested in the best, not the cheapest since this is for my own truck.

1. The arm needs to be raised by at least 1” and this should be built into the arm, not a spacer.
    2. The arm will be made for a super heavy stainless “Heim Joint” that will be put into double shear.
    3. The joint will be sealed with a boot and packed in “Marine Grease” for protection.
    4. The counter bore for the spring will be machined and will not require a cap.
    5. The four bolt holes will be counter bored and sunk for the proper nuts and standard length studs.
    6. The material will be stainless steel to eliminate corrosion and the need for paint.

ADDED SUGGESTIONS:
    7. Threaded perload for the kingpin to adjust for DW.
    8. Double arms for rear mounted tie rod.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Help Design\" a new D60 Cross Over Steering Arm

Sounds like a great arm you are wanting too make. I would be very interested in them for my K5. I have been looking into these:

[​IMG]

I would like to see how yours come out first. Also will you offer a complete Hysteer kit with both arms, draglink, tierod and ends?

Keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

1.perfect

2.mmmm beefy

3.great idea

4. a must in my book

5.another yes

6.that might make the Bling Bling a little to Bling Bling

7. price will be a major factor. i'm also guessing the drag link and the tie rod will all be super heavy stainless “Heim Joint"

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I for one wouldn't want to use a Heim joint. TRE is fine.
    Why stainless steel? I think that would add cost without adding much benefit.

So, how's the Eldo ebrake bracket coming along?
    -- Mike

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Mike, The stainless does not cost huge amounts more and does eliminate the corrosion issue. From what I have read about using heim joints the major complaint is not being able to seal them from dirt and water. They do offer more angle of movement.

On the ebrake issue: Every idea I want to use requires that I put the body back on my frame for measurement and I am just not ready to do that yet. What I want to do is design it for the use of two VW brake levers to the center between the seats for cutter brakes and one cable to each rear brake. The other problem is Aerospace work has picked up for the first time in two years and we are having problems keeping up with that and the Offroad stuff.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

How good is Stainless for this application from a mettalurgical standpoint? I recall someone saying that stainless is too soft for a steering arm...I mentioned using T-1 and was shot down also.

I do not like mild steel for steering arms though, there has to be a better material.

I love the rest!

Rene

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Rene, The material that I would use is 17-4 PH and would be heat treated to about 48 "C" and is way strong enough. Probably my usual "over kill" but thats the way I like it. Did you notice my comment obout increase in Aerospace? Thats good for both of us.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

10-4 Bill...not to doubt you, just playing Devil's advocate as usual /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes I noticed the other part about being busy. I worked 55 hours last week and will prolly work the same or more for many weeks to come. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

We're starting work on tooling for the new Strike Fighter some time in the summer, plus more for Airbus, and Raytheon. I'll be lucky to have any K5 time.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Everything sounds good, but have you ever thought about putting making the arm for both sides, that allow the tierod to be placed behind the axle? Basically, you just need to have the passenger side arm as a double arm, but keep the draglink side tapered, etc, like you suggested.
    I think this will be the hot ticket right now...much better than hi-steer, if you can make it work...
    Just a suggestion.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

any thoughts on a threaded kingpin spring preload adjustment for DW removal?
    I guess shims are safer way to fly in that regard?
    more testing needs to be done to determine the required pressure.

can't wait to see the results

11. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

MJ, Thats a super idea and it would not be that difficult to do. By the way, how did you resolve the issue that you PM'd me on regarding overnite stays in bad areas of LA?

Boss, I would consider the double arm for a tie rod in back but I am not sure how much of a bad effect would result in the steering for the trucks used on the road. I also keep hearing stories about breaking the top of their knuckles from doing this kind of thing. Any input on this would help in making a decision on adding this feature.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am still relying on sheer luck and a ball peen hammer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

when I can I drive out to Ontario CA where there is a truckstop at the I-15 I-10 intersection

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: \"Help Design\" a new D60 Cross Over Steering Arm *DELETED*

Post deleted by BadDog

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bill, I have frequented the POR site and they often show some D60 hi-steer with crossover arms in one. But most of them the guys make over there don't look very good. I would prefer a part that looks good, is beefy, and will perform to the expectations without worries of failure.

I will find a link I have of some hi-steer arm pics I have and let you view them. Be aware these pics are to fit a D44 but will give you a general idea of how to make a hi-steer D60 arm to make it "prettier."

These arms I have seen posted on POR have the tie rod mounted on the rearward part of the front axle, up above the springs. The drag link hooks to the passenger side like any other crossover arm. Just keeps the tie rod up higher and out of the way of harm.

Let me find some links and post them up for you to see. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I forgot one more thing to take into consideration: Design 2 different arms....one to clear conventional tire/rim combo's and one to clear Hummer rims. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

How do you plan to build these? CNC? Plasma Cutter Table? I can draw anything you need in AutoCAD for your CNC Machines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Russ, I'm always interested in new ideas but I don't follow this one. Are you referring to crossover steering arm or something else?

18. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Wes, I assume that the Hummer wheels have much more back spacing. How much would the arm need to be offset toward the frame to clear the wheel?

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I 2nd what Westy said and make a angled in hummer wheel version... Also, a TRE version....

Another thing is to have the heim/tre mounting surface angled like Avalanches.

20. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Neil, We have a solid modeling program call "IDEAS" by Unigrafics and the machines would be CNC machining centers made by Matsuura. However, I just read your profile and realized that your profession is design. We are really busy right now and it will be very hard to free one of my guys to work on this project. If you want to work with me on this and creat a design/cadfile (3D/IGES or 2D/DXF) I would be glad to make the first one free of charge for your truck. We should probably take this to a PM instead of this thread.