Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help diagnose my problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan2286, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

On initial acceleration a rythimic clunking and clanking is heard. After that while maintaining a speed of 35, or any speed for that matter, and more throttle is applied a low hum and vibration can be herad and felt. But once a steady speed is achieved the vibration and hum goes away. My trans fluid is still red, my t-case has enough oil and my diff was just oil changed 4 months ago. If the transmission is put in park or neutral the motor runs like normal under all throttle positions. What are some things I can do to determine the problem. Thanks for any help
    -Ryan

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Check your U-Joints

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Does it sound like metal on metal? Almost like a tinny noise? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Ryan2286

I just replaced my driveshaft to diff u-joint two weeks ago, perhaps its the top one thats causing the problems now

5. Ryan2286

yes it does, sound like a tinny noise, initially, then it turns into the deep vibration. but in like the first gear under acceleration yes it sounds like metal clanking on metal

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I had similar conditions w/ a very fast vibration and It ended up being the upper U-Joint. Found that out when it blew going 70 on the Highway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a U-joint. Also check to make sure the end you just replaced is still tight and no loose bolts that hold the U-Joint to the diff.