Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Did I f--- up my Z71?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by afroman006, Jul 11, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Last night a guy called my friends dad to come pull him out at the beach. I went with them just to watch and I was drivin my Z71. We got to the beach and were cruisin along prety well at first then we started to get into some soft stuff so I pushed the button and put it in 4hi. We proceded to go about 10 miles further down the beach to the guy that was stuck. After pullin him out, we went back. Once we got back on the pavement, everyone stopped but it was late so I just took off. I drove down the 20 mile or so long park road back to civilization doin about 80 most of the way. We stopped at a convenience store to get some drinks and when we were pullin out, it happened. When I was backin out of the parkin space, the truck just stopped. I had the wheel turned full lock to the right and was goin in reverse and it just stopped. The engine was still running but I wasnt moving. It felt like the parking brake was on just worse. Then my friend noticed it was still in 4hi. I pulled back into the space, got out and looked around and everything was normal. Got back in and put it in 2hi then backed out and broke off just fine. What happened? Did I mess anything up from driving that fast that long in 4hi? I didnt notice any difference in the ride so thats why I didnt notice it until the truck stopped moving. Is anything FUBAR'd? Thx

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have you ever driven a 4wd vehicle? When turning towards full lock they always lock up and lerch a little. Straight axles are worse but IFS does it to. I was playing at my work in 4lo ramping on hills and it took the entire parking lot for me to turn around. Doing 80 in 4hi isn't something I would do myself.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My grandfather did it in his 92 k2500, drove about 30 miles at 60 in 4hi. Fried the front end gears due to all the binding...

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If everything was in already in good shape it shouldn't hurt anything. What you experienced was simply the normal binding that occurs when locked into 4wd.........it takes more throttle to make the truck move on pavement because of this.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'd guess your arr-right.

Sounds like normal operation to me, within designed intent.
    I should be able to handle a situation like that - no problem.

Still, be worth your time to check the t-case fluid. Other than that - I wouldn't worry

6. afroman006

Yes I've been driving 4x4's for a little over a year but I've never experienced a bind like that with the IFS truck. I've been drivin the truck bout 100 miles every day since then with no ill-effects so I guess nothings wrong with it. We're tradin it in here prety soon so as long as it lasts that long its all good. Thx

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Whatcha gonna get??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. afroman006

We're trading it and my mom's 2wd 94 burban in for a brand new Crew Cab short bed 2500 HD 4x4 for her. I'm excited cause I'll get to pick out options and test drive everything with her. I want to test drive a 6.0 L vortec, 8.1 L vortec and Duramax. That means we're getting rid of the last 2wd vehicle at my house. We are a 4x4 family now (untill I fix my sis's 2wd C20)

9. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

The 6.0 liter engines run good, they seem a bit better than the old style engines, you have to tow to really appreciate the 8.1, a friend tows an enclosed race car trailer, he had an '02 2500 HD with the 6.0L, it worked well but you could tell it was working on the hills, he traded it on an '03 2500 HD with the 8.1L and the Allison automatic. What a difference, the 6.0L had to be rolling at the bottom of a hill to keep the momentum up the hill, the 8.1L will start at the bottom of a hill(from a dead stop) and accelerate up to speed on the hill, he's really impressed with it.