Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Differential.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Dec 7, 2003.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I am buying a 14 bolt full float. Need to know how the average not very experienced mechanic can tell if it is an "open" or "govlock" carrier. Can I tell w/ out opening the pumpkin? I am looking at a 86 3/4 14 bolt 8 lug. Would this be "open" or "Lock?" ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

pick both tires up. start turning it forward and the real quick kind of pop it forwrad gard. if the other tire grabs and starts turning forward its a gov if not its open.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is hard to tell open from almost traction (read limited slip). It is possible if you have felt a lot of rear ends (pun intended). But why would you buy an axle w/o pulling the cover? If the Gov-loc is worn out really bad or if there was no additive put in at all of the fluid changes it will feel EXACTLY like an open carrier, be careful and good luck.

4. blazindorito

The truck it was in was stolen. The guy is selling the parts. The diff. seems to be in good condition. I hope.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive been told that you pull the cover off, turn a tire and count the large bolts on the side of the diff, 3 for a gov lock, 4 for an open. cant remember if thats right.anyone know for sure?i think you would want to pull the cover anyway to check the condition of the internals.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pull the cover and look for either 3 large holes at the carrier split for a gov-loc or 4 large holes for an open carrier.

7. jeremy91k1500

jeremy91k1500 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ive been told that you pull the cover off, turn a tire and count the large bolts on the side of the diff, 3 for a gov lock, 4 for an open.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you've got the cover off, might as well look at the whole diff, not just the bolts on the side. if you've got it open, there's no way you can miss an open diff.

8. blazindorito

I think if it has 4 pinion it is "open" and if it has 3 pinion it is "locked" but where is the pinion?

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you pull the cover you will immediately be able to tell because there are extra funky parts in it, every gov lok axle i have ever had always makes both tires spin in gravel everytime, my 83 K20 is factory locking and it burns both tires off always

thats how to tell if you have working locking/posi/limited slip axle without pulling cover

if truck doesnt run and drive then you need to pull cover