Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Doing my own dual-Tcase setup...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Apr 18, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I hae a milling machine, and lots of time and knowledge on my side, so I figured I'd fab up a dual T-Case setup for my K5.

I'm either going to do direct adaptors (like ORD) or adaptor to factory adaptor.

I havent aquired a NP203 as of yet.

My question: The adaptor shaft (usually a cut down Transmission shaft..no?) I will need from the NP203 to the NP205 input (I'm using a 32spln BTW), does the gear end that plugs into the NP203 have to be made, or is it the stock gears from the transmission output, with simply the other end resplined? I read an article on BC 4x4.com that implyed that they had used a TH350 output shaft, and resplined 1 end, leaving the tranny end to plug into the NP203.

So. Can I get away with resplining just the one end, that plugs into the NP205, so am I making a whole new shaft?

I'm trying to buy as little as possible, but I might be forced to buy the SM465 to 32 spline NP203 input shaft. ah well.

Eveyone needs a vertical mill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The stocker's have a Sleeve inside the T Case support that connect's the T-Case to the Transmission. The sleeve also has 2 seal's on either end of it.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Eveyone needs a vertical mill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but all the ones I'm finding local have more backlash than table travel /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I have access to 5 mills though, plus 12 lathes and 1 horizontal mill so I'm ok for now though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I do wish I had my own in the garage...

4. dhdescender

Are the TH400 type (32 spline) not lacking this extra sleeve. I was under the impression the sleve wasonly on TH350 and SM465 versions.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Check out the BC4x4 boys. Someone has done this before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dhdescender

BC4x4 is where I'm getting my info.

He said he 'sent the shaft off to moser for resplining' however, from the picture, it looks as if the NP205 end was the only end resplined, and the TH350 end of the shaft plugged right into the NP203.

BUT. It doesnt specify either way, I hate to assume. It costs time an money.

Here...let me see if I can better explain:

[​IMG]

As I read the article (http://bc4x4.com/tech/2000/gordtcases/gordtcases.cfm) he shows this picture of the shaft work done.

I interpret that picture as Stock TH350 output shaft (front), and modified shaft and coupler at the back, as it looks like NO resplining was done to the modified shaft on the Tranny end of the TH350 output adaptor.

It doesnt really matter that I'm using a Turbo400 NP205, all my qestion is, will the tranny end of a TH350 output shaft, bolt into the NP203 without mofication.

I'm well aware the other end will need resplining to 32spline.

Thanks all! Keep talkin! We'll get it solved

7. dhdescender

Ok, on ONE hand drawing it says 'unaltered shaft section' indicating that the TH350 shaft WILL plug into the NP203.

Now which NP203...is it only the TH350 version.

I'm killing ya, I know /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif