Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help doing twin stick conversion on my 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am working on doing the twin stick mod on my 205. I put the rail for the front output in neutral. Then when I try to pull the rail I ground all the way out which would be either (rear wheel drive low or high), it won't lock into gear. If I pull on it hard, it will move a little, and the input and rear outputs move together, as soon as I stop pulling on the rail it slips out of gear. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. benny

benny Registered Member

you may not have done enough grinding.. without seeing it, what u need to try to do is take out the little nut and spring that holds the detent ball.. try and shift that rail and look through the hole to see if the detent is where it needs to be so the ball will sit down in it and that will tell you if the rail isn't moving as far as it needs to.. btw, when u pull that rail out you're shifting to high range.. other than that it can be a lot of trial and error.. check out my 205 pics and links on my page.. http://boltaction.freeyellow.com

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

it takes alot of pressure to move the shift forks. are you using a shifter or your hands? if you dont have a shifter mounted, loosen the large bolt on top of the rail that hold in the spring and ball, this will make it easier to move. make sure your front rail is really in nuetral. it shouldnt be a grinding problem because with the front in nuetral you should at least be able to push the rear rail in(2HI) even on an ungrinded rail. try all this and get back with an update for further help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did.....

I took the spring out. I can pull the shift rail all the way out, and keep tension on it and it is in gear. Then if I take the tension off of it and then turn the input, it slips into neutrai. I am failrly sure I have ground enough, I would have though I had grinded too much if anything. Please help! Thanks!

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

2nd update, I pulled the spring and ball all the way out. I can see the 3 detents in the shift rail. I can line all 3 detents up with where the ball would be. When it is pulled all the way out and lined up with that detent, the output isn't spinning.

I have the PTO cover off, and can see the shift fork moving. When the fork is in the detent I am having trouble with, the shift fork isn't completely lining up with the gear it needs to, I can see it. Please help!!!

6. bigblock44k5

if you grinded too much off that would only give you a problem with combining low and high ranges at the same time. when you say the output isnt turning, you mean the rear output right? cause your front should still be in nuetral. maybe a dumb question, but did you remember to put the roll pin back through the shift fork and into the shift rail?

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

thats what I thought about the grinding...yea, its getting the rear output to spin is what i'm having problems with...I did put the roll pin back in...I can watch the shift fork move. Any ideas?

8. bigblock44k5

im out of ideas, as long as the shift rail is coming all the way out, it should be engaging fully. only thing i can suggest is take the rail back out and recheck everything. wish i could help.

9. benny

benny Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    thats what I thought about the grinding...yea, its getting the rear output to spin is what i'm having problems with...I did put the roll pin back in...I can watch the shift fork move. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

when u shift the rail all the way out (high range rear wheels) look through the pto cover and explain what exactly is happening.. is the collar inside the shift fork engaging the teeth attached to the gear? a little? not at all? what? if this collar is fully engaging then you're problem can't be in the shift rail.. the rear output should be spinning when u input to the front..

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

it only grabbing a small portion of of the teeth.

11. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Have you given ORD a call yet?

12. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thats the plan on Monday.

13. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

14. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

UPDATE-
    Just got off the phone w/ ORD. They said it sounds like I either didn't grind enough off the sloped portion of the rail or I didn't get the angle 100% right and one of the shift pills is still blocking it. Going to mess with it some more next week, and hopefuly get it all worked out.