Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!...Don't tell me I killed 'er!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Oct 13, 2002.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

HELP!!...Don\'t tell me I killed \'er!

Okay guys...you've always been there for me in a grind...I need some help! Besides the fact that I almost hit a 6 point bull elk doing 70 miles an hour tonight, I done messed up the blazer! Alright...so I was wheelin with some friends, well mostly riding with a buddy in a SAS'd Toy on 38s, but anyways, I didn't hammer the K5 or anything! I mean, I have rodded it way more wheelin in mud. So I was just doing some washboard stuff, and skid roads. Not many big jolts, nothing about 3000 rpm. On my way off the mountain around 11 pm, I notice my Voltmeter is reading 8 volts. HMMM that's not right. so I start shutting down misc. eqiupment. Pulled over, shut off everything (radio, lights) and kinda played with the throttle to see what it'd do. I've had alt. problems before where if I held steady throttle at 1500 or so it would charge back up. Well to make a long story short, on the 30 minute drive home, I worked out the problem. Anytime the blazer revs above 1500 rpm, the volts drop below 10. Wethere it's steady throttle or sporadic, it drops. If I just coast and let it idle at 500, it charges back to where it should be?! Does anyone have any clue what's wrong?! ANY help is much appreciated, this is a DD. TIA!
    Allan /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: HELP!!...Don\'t tell me I killed \'er!

take your alternater in and have it tested most battery or auto parts stores will do it for free /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

yeah you got some junk in the alternator...for sure /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like the alternator alright. Very easy to rebuild.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Allan, sounds like alternator..............easy fix. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the answers. I got up this morning, went out, low and behold the alt. belt was loose. I felt like a dumbass. Then again, it was midnight, and I had just almost hit a 6 point bull elk, so I was a little wired! Thanks again!
    Allan /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif