Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Dorky or Cool as a trailer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rezalb, Nov 26, 2000.

1. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I have a parts Suburban with the front clip off, we have all seen how people take a truck bed and axle and make a trailer, well,,,,,I was thinking, clean up the front and making the Suburban a trailer..four doors, cargo doors on the rear, roof storage?? CLear me up guys, Am I a redneck for even thinking this?

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think it would be cool but then again im a redneck. but it would be one of a kind. if you do it post the pics i would like to see it

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would worry about tongue weight. With the 'Burb the distance from the hitch to the rear tires would put close to 40% of its weight on the tongue. (I'm guessing)
    Normal tongue weight should be about 10% of the total trailer weight for good towing characteristics and not overloading the tow vehicle.
    Just my 2 cents

Rene

[​IMG]

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing about tongue weight; probably too much unless your load was bulky but extremely lightweight. It would definitely be interesting though...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Or you could fabricate a different tounge that swivels and connects to the front tires, kinda like just towing a vehicle. Ever see a hayrack or combine header trailer?

Fencepost eater

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    You dont stay up at night thinking of this stuff do you? Just kidding! Certainly be very intresting to see cruising down the highway next to me... Might even make me pull off the road.

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Another idea, if you did the 4 wheels on the ground thing, you could put an old 6 banger in the engine compartment and use it to run a generator or something like that...or just make a travle trailer out of it with beds and everything

Fencepost eater

8. tRustyK5

Now there's a good idea! Why not just leave the front end under it? Put a small deck where the engine used to be for bikes, propane tanks et al, and use it as a camper trailer![​IMG]. Do it that way and all you need is a tow bar.[​IMG]
    Hows that for <font color=red>REDNECK</font color=red>?[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

OH GUYS, you make me feel like a WIFE...(silly)...
    tRusty and Jarhead starts talkin tongue weight, Goose brings up combines and the stuff really hits the fans when a second axle comes up with a motor for a generator and people are sleepin in the darn thing...crap...lol...
    I just was thinkin about a trailer to go to the dump, store stuff in, bring wheelin and huntin.....my K5 is white and the Suburban is white, and all have big wheels and look cool. THAT IS IT....do we all have a little red neck in us or what :)

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

10. tRustyK5

11. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

May be cut it and just use the back half of it(like a box trailer).

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

12. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm voting for COOL! I've been wanting to do a matching pickup box to tow with the blazer. (My current trailer is an old I.H. pickup box.) When you have an idea like this, the only way to approach it is to keep improving and modifying until it becomes unworkable. :-)
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

13. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I vote for dorky.....Just add a front end and you will have a Burb. Just my opinion.......

14. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    To reduce toungue weight you could cut out the back 2 doors and slide the front back and weld it back together. Basically make it a 2 door shorter cab suburban. Cut the front at the firewall and leave the windshield in, wipers and all stay. Seems like it would make a good snowmobile or 4 wheeler trailer. haul the rides toward the back and put gear in front. If its hot out just roll the windows down. Ok I'll quit now.

Then move the grill and headlights onto the firewall, hook the park lights up as clearance lights.

15. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

dude u guys all have pretty funky imaganations go for it is what i say

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Burb as a trailer?....That would kick ass!![​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

17. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

If you could make it work, I think it would be an awesome idea. You would have an insane amount of storage space. Might be kind of rough to tow though considering the size. I would definitely like to see pictures!

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

You could do it as long as you don;t use it for carrying too much weight. You could put seats in there along the sides inside and rig up some stands for the front so when you take it wheeling you could unhook it, set it up and all the guys could climb inside and hang out. Kinda like a camper or something.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dudes, nobody cares about the weight of the suburban? Even taking out all of the interior, the engine, tranny, drive line, etc, it only adds up to removing about 1000 lbs off a 6000-7000 lb vehicle. Yeah, why the heck not, do it. :)

Lets see.. if you clip it right at the windshield, you would loose quite a bit of weight. however, you'd put quite a bit of toungue weight there, probably more than it should be. 5th wheel perhaps? Or perhaps keep the front wheels on.. but it would make towing more tedious. If only you could slap on another set of axles in the middle...

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

STOOPID!!!! STOOOPID!!! Subs weigh 6500 lbs. Whack off a bit and you're still probably looking at 4,000 pounds for a 4'x 8' trailer!! You'd better not be towing it with a 700R4 tranny, otherwise the trailer (sub) itself will kill the 700. God that would look SO FRIGGING STOOPID!!!! Go buy a danged 4x8 trailer for $300 or so, and scrap that Sub!!

ken