Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help electrical prob

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DOUGHBOY, Jan 13, 2001.

1. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

ok last week i was driving home and started to lose power so i pulled over and smoke rolled out from under the hood ,my dash gauges were all pegged to the right side when i opened the hood i noticed my ground from the frame to the body and the ground from the body to the battery were melted off.i figured it was just the grounds wernt heavy enough(they were pretty small grounds)so i replaced them with what the truck calls for.took it around the block and it ran perfect.that was yesterday.so off i go today and about 3 miles from the house it started doing it again except this time it burnt the battery to the motor ground .i have checked everyplace i can think of as to where the short is.but havent any luck.by the way this is a 85 k5 350/350/205.now i am waiting for the tow truck as i type.has this ahppened to anyone else.PLEASE HELP.this is my daily driver.thanks

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Starter. Check your connections. The main battery cable runs to the starter then gets divided up from there. Only place that would carry enough current to burn a cable. Also on some the main power cable run through a clamp on the frame just in front of the fuel pump could short there also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. northgate

northgate Registered Member

How does your ground from battery to engine look? This is the groung path that carries the most current. Sounds like it's not making a complete circuit, and current is having to go through the other grounds. If you have a voltmeter it is easy to check the voltage drops on these ground wires. Just put your leads on either ends of the cable, crank the engine and watch the voltage. It should read very little or no voltage.