Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP engine flooding!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

help!!! my engine is flooding. it hasnt done this, then it has done this twice this month!
    like at 3 o clock i will go down to my truck, turn it on no prob, move it closer in the parking lot. get out, go to lacrosse practice, then i come back at like 530-6 and i go to trun it on... and wont turn over. it will crank, but no turn over.
    what do i do?
    aka HELP!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

You say it cranks but wont turn over, do you mean it cranks but doesnt fire? Something could get stuck open in your carb (float, valve) and that lets it drip gas into the motor, thus flooding it, Im not a carb genius so you mite want to consult one of the other guys. To start a flooded engine you have to put the pedal to the floor to clear it out and crank it then once it fires let off immediately, thats only common sense. Hope this helps.

JD

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>So nothing happens? At all? Are you sure your getting spark? Mabye you have a loose or frayed wire somewhere in the ignition system. </font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I have about a million different year parts, no EGR and all those other tons of hoses on the left side so its a little hard to start if I flood it. I usually flood it by doing something dumb like pumping the foot feed after I had it running a half hour ago. The best thing I've found is open the front butterfly, stick in a pen so it holds all the way open and crank it. This is by no means a solution but its worked for my every time I've had carb trouble. Crank it with out touching the gas, let it smooth out and pull the pen out and put the cleaner top on.

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

How old is the carb? Sounds like some sea foam down the carb while gunning the engine and reving it up and down. Should get rid of almost all the gunk... then throw the other half of the bottle in the gas tank for good measure and do further cleaning.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually when a quadrajet is flooded, you hold the pedal to the floor and crank it. Designed that way. Full throttle overcomes the choke....

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've tried that and I can't get to go for a second but then it stalls out again. I just start it with out touching the pedal till the exhaust clears out and take out the pen. Not real technical because I have sort of different situation because all I have left is going to the carb is the vapor canister stuff and the advance. I've been putting it back together somewhat and got some vac diagrams from 1969-75 and have a diagram to route mine like it.