Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! ENgine problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Swifty, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

For the past week or so when ever I get on the gas afterwards the engine will stumble almost like its getting no fuel or air. I've cleaned the carb and played around with the mixture, but it hasn't helped much. Could it be the fuel filter or pump. Help me here. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Thanks.
    Luke

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The way you asked your question is a little confusing.
    Ar you saying that when you hit the gas is stumbles? does it catch up? if your smooth on the gas when you accelerate is it ok? when you go to start it and give it the one pump then crank do you have to let it turn over for a long period of time?
    If that's the symptoms it sounds like the accelerator pump has a problem. What that pump does is when you give it gass it shoots a little extra into the engine since it takes a second for the main jets to catch up with the engine air flow.
    With the air cleaner off the accelerator pump is the rod sticking up out of the top of the carb on the front driverside. Its not uncommon that the rubber peice on the end of that rod to pop off nad stick in the bore. Look down inside the car (might have to prop the coke plate open. While looking in there give it full throttle by hand. in each of the primary bores you should see a shot of fuel come out. if you just see a dribble or nothing then your going to have to take the top off the carb and see what's up with the accelerator pump. There is a check ball in the bottom that keeps fuel from going back into the float bowl area. if there was some trash in the carb that ball might be stuck and cause simular problems.
    Fuel filter every 6 months or so is not a bad idea on old truck. lots of crud in the tank. Fuel filter problems are usually they will idle fine and for a short period of time you can accelerate fine. The filter restricts the flow of fuel into the carb and basiccly pulling a hill or hard on the gas and you run the float bowl dry and it acts like its running out of gas.

3. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

The description that you gave for the ditry fuel filter is exactly what my truck does. I'm putting a new one on today so I'll give and update later. Thanks.