Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, Exhaust backfires when engine is cold???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by qqsched, Mar 14, 2005.

1. qqsched

qqsched Registered Member

I need help what cuases exhaust backfire in the morning on my 1987 K5 Blazer. Here a list of what I've done so far. Brand new MSD distributor, MSD Spark plug wires, MSD coil, checked timing, Magnaflow highflow cat converter, Flowmater cat back system, engine bored .30 over, compu cam camshaft, jet chip computer, throttle body spacer from CFM Tech and adjustable fuel pressure regulator set to 13 psi. I also check the computer for trouble codes and found no errors. All of this started happening last September. Is this normal for an old truck? I bought this truck last summer and everything was running fine, until I started doing all of this upgrades. I begining to wonder if if was worth it. Please help me figure this mess out. It's quite embarassing with the neighbors in the morning when it backfires. If backfires about three to four times when the engine runs for about a minute or so.

Please I need some expert advise!!!

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

do you have any vacuum leaks
    exhaust leaks
    is your air system hooked up
    either running lean or rich
    have an ignition failure

an older vehicle should not backfire

3. qqsched

qqsched Registered Member

checked the vacuum and air is hooked up. You mentioned ignition failure, can you tell me where to start? This is my first truck and I have no idea where to start. Thanks!!!