Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Exhaust hangers keep breaking....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Jun 27, 2005.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well here's the deal:

I had a couple of those universal hangers holding my exhaust in on my K5 a while back. It was all fine and dandy until the hanger literally ripped a hole in the top of my flowmaster then about 2 days later the rubber tore on the other side.

Well I weled in a patch on the muffler and installed a different type of universal hanger and the damn thing didn't even last a week before the passenger side rubber tore...

So what are you guy doing to keep you exhaust up in you trucks?

FYI, this is a dual 3" exhaust, no cats with Flowmaster 50's and turndowns at the mufflers...

Until now I have been welding one end of the universal mount to he muffler and one end to the x-member... None of the weld have ever broke; it is either the muffler (when the mount ripped a hole in the muffler) or the rubber

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I was having a similar problem with the rubber strap. Mine was tearing the rubber at trhe bolt through the strap. I ended up using a big washer to help spread the load and didnt tighten the bolt to tight, just snug. How much movement is there in your exhaust system. If its all tight then flex and motor torque twisting could be causing your problems. :dunno:

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I kinda narrowed it to the torque of the motor couple with the heavy exhaust. It is always the passenger mount that tears the rubber. I think I am going to replace the mufflers with some Dynomax UltraFlos and use an all-metal heavy duty exhaust mount at the muffler and then bend some 3/8" round stock and make some hangers to weld to the exhaust and frame further towards the headers for the stock-type rubber isolators. Any more ideas?

Thanks

Chris

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

How many Hangers are you using? My current set up is Flows with dumps maybe middle of cab and axle and I have 2 hangers per side. I can move 'em quite a bit by hand but they never hit anything while driving.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I installed the dual hangars from a diesel truck in mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could stand on the tailpipe without hurting anything.

Anyways, for things to be tearing indicates a lot of movement somewhere else obviously.

The stock setup in my applcation has the first hangers behind (rearward) of the transmission crossmember. The second set is bolted to the mufflers just forward of the rear axle. This set is somewhat redundant I figure, since the others clamp the pipe, and the muffler material is much weaker than the pipe. The last hangars are right before the 90* bend out the side behind the rear wheels.

I have yet to see aftermarket hangars designed anywhere near the strength level of stock stuff, and I'm not surprised, that's typical.

If I were you, I'd figure out a way to make the 3 hangar setup work. The engine is ALWAYS going to move, good motor/tranny mounts will eliminate some of that, but it can't all be removed. That's why the stock mounts use fairly firm rubber to isolate the pipes from the mounts...it will take some movement, but not enough to let it rattle around and tear things. Probably also why there is none close to the engine, it HAS to move some, the mounts would end up trying to hold the engine in place.

If you are having to weld junk up anyways, might as well figure out how to make the stock hangars work with your 3" pipe IMO. Diesels have dual mounts, easy to find. Remove rivets to take from donor, bolt to your truck.

My dad had exhaust installed on his truck, within a year the additional non-stock side (from single to dual) had failed. (hangar broke) Finally convinced him to install stock hangars and make them work with his setup, and it's been two years since.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A H$$p owning friend of mine had similar trouble. His solution was to use three links of chain. One link welded to the exhaust, one link welded/bolted to the frame, and one link in btwn those. When I first saw it I was sure that it would clank, bang, and generally be miserable experience riding in the H$$p. It isn't.

Wherever you need to weld supports to thin walled metal it's a good idea to first weld a doubling plate on first. The plate doesn't want or need to be much thicker than the base part.