Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP fast can't remove 14FF drums

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stangfootball34, Feb 25, 2005.

1. stangfootball34

stangfootball34 Registered Member

Ok this is pissing me off. I don't know if they are stuck or if there is a lock ring or something that won't let the drums come off this biotch. I have taken the shaft out and spindle nut. Now what do I do? All I see from there is the bearing nothing else. I need help on this as fast as possible. I have skipped work to get this knocked out and am stuck need help fast please.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have both the spindle lock nut, lock washer and spindle nut off. If it is still being stubborn, beat it from the back side with a BFH for a while. The shoes may be stuck in the groove they have created. You could also try to turn the adjusting nut for the shoes all the way loose to try to brin gthe shoes in...

Chris

3. stangfootball34

where is the adjuster nut? Is that the big nut right on the top of the backing plate?

4. stangfootball34

5. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

nope, the adjuster is inside the drum, it goes between the shoes and will spread them out against the drum or pull them in. there is an access hole on the backing plate where you adjust them. its a small oblong hole, ifyou flash a light in there you will be able to see the adjuster and how it works. if you don't have a break spoon, just use a flat head screw driver to turn the adjuster. there is somewhat of a "lock" that keeps the adjuster from being loosened, you might have to push that off the teeth of the adjuster to back it off. if you look in that little hole you should be able to see how it works better than i'm describing. loosen that adjuster up and give the drum a couple good whacks with a hammer to "unseat" it and it should free up and come right off.

oh yeah, its a little heavy so watch your toes:cool1:

6. stangfootball34

I got the driver side loose but the passenger side in stuck. I have used wd-40 and still nothing. To loosen the passenger side does the screwdriver handle go from a downward to an upper motion?

7. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

honestly i cant remember from memory. just start turning it and spin the drum, if your are pushing the shoes out the drum will start to get hard to turn so your going the wrong way. the drum should get very easy to turn when you are loosening it

8. stangfootball34

the drums are loose but I can't get that screw to turn at all it's stuck so i just wanted to make sure I wasen't making it even tighter and now impossible to get loose.

9. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

this may seem like a stupid response... but do you have your parking brake engaged?...seen it happen before.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just keep working on the adjuster, and knocking the crap out of it with a hammer... it will come off.

Mine took a while on one of the sides... the shoes had come off on one side and were in a binde, but it finally gave in to my relentless hammer smashing. Plus, both drums were full, and I mean FULL of dry mud.

have fun...