Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Fellow CK5 member falling off the cart!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 22, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

We've all been there. That space in time where you think your damn truck will be the end of you. Its taking your time and money... all when there are better things to do in life... OR ARE THERE REALLY?

Here's my request:

Help me convince a fellow CK5er to NOT abandon the entire wheeling scene, selling the K5, leaving the scene, planting a vegetable garnen, and NEVER LOOKING BACK. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Help me save a fellow wheeling buddy!

OMG, I'm going insane just talking on the phone with this guy. HELP ME PEOPLE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Bryan?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

Lets allow this K5 member to be anonymous for now... WHAT TO TELL THEM? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Lets allow this K5 member to be anonymous for now... WHAT TO TELL THEM? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Put down the crack pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Tell them to wait it out. Unless they need the money right now, why sell what they have and get out of it forever? Hit the trails and have some fun. That's the best cure for any reason to sell a vehicle.

BIGJ

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dear Dan's buddy:

Use this hobby of building a truck as an escape, rather than a chore. Sometimes it can feel like a job/chore, but don't let it be. It should be something you do to wind down, relax, and get your mind off work/school. Not only should just working on a vehicle provide this for you but also the numerous weekends a year you spend out on the trail.

Everyone needs an escape from everyday life...building a truck is a perfect way to do that. (Although I suppose gardening would be too, but if you go from building an off-road truck to gardening, I think we better start questioning some other things about you as well /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

Sincerely,
    Steve

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Exactly what heavy4x4 said ! Don't get caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones's. Wheel what ya got and if its broke down or in the middle of a mod ya hich a ride with your buddys on the trail. And if ya break on the trail, again don't sweat it thats whats your buddys are for, to help ya out and help ya get it fixed right away if its your DD. And if ya sell it you'll be mad at yourself down the road. Ya got the bug and its there forever, so down the road you will buy another one and have to start all over.

8. KRAZIE87K5

Steve and Brent! Y'all sound like you're saying VERBATIM what I've been saying! I just hope that more than one person with the same opinion will help "my friend" figure out his best path.

Thanks all! Keep these comments coming!!!

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Bryan,

Stop beating around the bush and get your K5 whipped into shape. Unless you have spent entire paychecks, mortgaged the house for the 3rd time, went through 4 wives because of the K5, have 10 children whos names are unknown, and have a severe itching on your scrotum - you really need to keep the K5.

Nuff Said. Now Dan, you can calmly smack the poo out of Bryan when you get a chance. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I would have used the "K5 helps you get Chicks" analogy, but he already has a Wife!

Give us the skibby - let it all hang out man! We here at CK5 are your shoulder to cry on. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like Bryan. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He's been down this road quite a few times now, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just tell him to park the K5 and not worry about it or think about it. Get a different hobby for now and get on with life. Other wise you will have to kick his arse if he doesn't. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Just forget about it for a while .. the itch'll come back. Mine has sat in the garage since the fall crawl because life got busy, but I'm starting to feel that pull again. I know if I got rid of it I'd kick myself later

12. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I think Bryan is going rice !!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Bryan has ordered a BIG aluminum wing & neon kit for the little frt wheel drive car he is buying. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've already got the front wheel drive car...the prism baby. I already got the 20" lookalike plastic hubcaps for the 14's...so I'm well on my way!

Can't just park the damn thing, it's my DD now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bryan,

I know you probably have a mental list of stuff you either don't like about your truck or stuff you plan on fixing or upgrading. We all do...

Throw the list out, but before you do find the smallest, most affordable thing on that list and do it. Even if it's only replacing the wipers or something mundane like that.

Ya get a little bummed fix another thing that's easy or inexpensive.

Wheel it as is and enjoy it...if the truck has percieved shortcomings use it as an opportunity to hone your wheeling skills.

We all get a little blah about our junk now and then...hell I drive mine back and forth to work. No radio, on 40's, loud as hell, not exactly the smoothest ride etc etc. You think I don't think about having something else now and then?

Tough it out, fix something easy, wheel it anyways and the itch will return. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

15. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

everyone else pretty much said most of it.
    i will add something that i told my ex-wife when she
    told me i should grow -up and sell all my junk and pay off
    bills and get a little grocery getter to get around.

well first i said shut up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, but besides that
    i said , this is a hobby . when i have extra money and
    time , i will work on it. just becouse its not done yet or just becouse something needs to be fixed is no reason to dump
    a hobbie. just put it away till next the next week or two to work on it again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

i can agree with the feeling of just selling my junk..i have a 3m old son that gets the time the jimmy did get. it's broke now...no spark...and its hard to fix things a hour at a time...tell him to just sit in his junk and remeber the good time, and plan for the next

all hail the almighty sawzall
    twisting driveshafts since '00

17. dill

dill Registered Member

sometimes in a hobby you need to step back from the 'extreme' end of it more into the middle, especially if money is a concern. I have had to do this with another hobby recently, and dont regret it a bit.

sure your stuff isn't quite as nice/fast/badass, but its alot more manageable.

18. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It aint like a Texan to just give up like this is it Bryan? Get a Toyota or whatever you want, but just dont leave the wheeling scene all together. And what is this about starting a garden or something, did your wife cut your balls off or something? You need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif man.

19. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Honestly Bryan,

I have been exactly in your shoes at one time. Back when I first started working on my K5, I moved to St. Louis. There I was, in a larger City driving a rusted out 78 K5 (white and wood grain) with a Blue and Silver '82 front clip. Boy did my co-workers think I was a redneck. Not only that, but my neighbors did too! I just drove the hell out of the truck.

I finally bought a BMW so I could fit into the St. Louis scene. After getting a large car payment, I couldn't do the mods like I wanted. I finally painted the truck all one color! After many wheeling trips on 35's with 3.08 gears and no lockers - I finally installed a Lock-Right in the rear. Later, I installed 4.88 gears, and a Lock-Right up front. That was many moons ago. I spent nearly 7 years in my K5 wheeling with 1/2 ton drivetrain and had lots of fun. Finally upgraded to the 1 Ton stuff and still have as much fun as before but with more reliability.

Just hang in there. It's a humbling experience for sure, but well worth it when you finally get to where you can have fun without breakage.

Like Rene, I suggest more seat time. Pick the smaller mods to do for now, keep it streetable and drive the wheels off. I know, its a gas hog and sucks to drive in the city. Go wheeling more instead of less. You have a very capable rig there. It made it up every trail everyone else did at the Fall Crawl. Keep it the way it is now and plan on going to some future runs to gain more time in the truck.

Hell, after the Fall Crawl, I even got a case of "what do I do next". I had passengers pointing out the floor flexed under twisty loads, it creaks, moans and cracks. The Tailgate falls out when I flex it up real bad! I bet every one of these K5'ers out here could point out one or two bad things about their rigs - but we all keep going Man! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

My wife don't work. I have $10,000 in credit card debt, $30,000 in medical bills. I never have money. I traded my 72 with lift and 33's for a stock 89 that burns oil like an Iraqi. If all of this ain't enough to put a pause in a hobby, what is? I made a solemn oath to myself that come hell or high water, I will always own a K5, and will always wheel. Sure, my rig isn't where I want it, as far as mods, but at least it ain't a Heep or a Corrolla. BB03 would not have been fun for me in my stock rig, but I guarantee that sooner than later, I will be there with freakin bells on and sheet metal peelin. Don't go dude. You will regret it later. The friends I have made since I got the K5 virus are worth it alone. I'm actually going to buy a little 2wd Toyota truck for like $1500 to drive around, so that I can park the K5 and start putting gas money into parts money. Just a suggestion... Good luck with whatever you decide.