Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Fixed Starter wiring BUT wont mesh with flexplate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Nov 13, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Help!! i just put in a new motor 87-95 350 the other day and cant find the right starter went to the store to get a newer one and it still doesnt mesh with the flexplate anyone know if there is a special starter i have to get or what or could the flexplate be from a car or different?!?!

i could use part numbers from autozone i have until 4 until everything starts to close please help im begging and i dont usually beg!!

2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

apparently from what i gathered is gm used like 13 different nose cones.. when you buy one from autozone etc you never know which one your gonna get... but is that true because i find that really hardc to belive

this sucks im really ready to start my new motor for the first time and this crap happens if it wasnt my daily driver i wouldnt be so anxious but i have to work in the morning and ive been borrowing a car and i think that its getting pretty old now for the preson im borrowing it from

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

What size flexplate?

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i thought it was 168 but it might be 153 regardless i dont know what year starter to get because it has to have the offset holes and be able to reach the flexplate when i turn it over...

probably 153 tooth cause its not reaching..

the flexplate differs from my old one cause on 87-95 they were externally balanced and made to fit the one peice rear main seal... the bolt holes are different

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Are you saying that you can bolt the starter on but it doesn't reach the flexplate or that you can't bolt it on cause the flexplate is in the way? Measure the diameter of the flexplate and it will tell you how many teeth it has. What part number is the starter you have?

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

the starter bolts up and works like it is supposed to but it is too far away from the flexplate to engage at all

the part number is either 091157 or DL3733MS from autozone

its about 12 in give or take a little thats the diameter of the flexplate

by the way the people at autozone are so stupid i called them to reference something and he said i dont know anything i told him do do something simple like look up the flexplate for a certain year so how many teeth it has and match it with the starter :angry1: i wish there was a part store that knew what they were doing!

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Sound like you have the wrong flexplate. For a 87 350 Autozone.com list
    Home > Shopping > Drivetrain

Search Results: FLYWHEEL - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Click "Buy Online" beside the item you'd like to purchase from AutoZone.com.

Click "Add to Store List" beside the item you'd like to add to a shopping list that can be sent to and paid for at your preferred AutoZone store.

PIONEER FRA-159 $30.99

PIONEER
    FLYWHEEL HEAVY DUTY FRA-159HD $89.99

PIONEER
    HIGH PERFORMANCE 871006

and the starters are

DURALAST DL3510MS LLT $15.00 $33.99

VALUCRAFT
    WITHOUT SOLENOID 3510M 1 YR $15.00 $27.99

GOLD-DURALAST DLG8430MS LLT $15.00 $79.99
    DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM DURABILITY 100 % NEW

BECK_ARNLEY 189-6012 3 MO

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i want to fix this the fastest and easiest way so getting a starter that would work with a 153 tooth flexplate would be what im looking for... need the part number for the starter for the 153 flexplate that has the offset holes

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

You should have a 3510 series starter. The SBC and BBC use the same starter but different size flexplates as on the BBC the starter is actually mounted further out than the SBC. From what you have described you may have the wrong flexplate. Look for the part numbers for both the starter and flexplate you have to help determine which part is wrong. Do you have any other parts stores in your town?

10. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

most of gm's rwd cars came with 153 tooth flexplates. try mid 80s camaros, caprice, things like that. Most stores will bring the parts out for you to look at unless they're super busy.

11. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

this flexplate came off of a car and it was on a smallblock the other parts stoes are nappa and advanced auto but nappa is prolly closed now they close early everyday

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

From the DL3733MS you posted that would be the wrong starter it should be DL3510MS. It is possible that they just grabbed the wrong one off the shelf.

13. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

well im going to run to autozone and check it out if it fits the 153 flexplate it should work

14. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The 3733 shows as for trucks but may be the larger flexplate. The typical starter is the 3510 series. If nothing else just give them the part number DL3510MS and tell them to pull it from the shelf. None of that "what year model" crap.

15. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i just made some phone calls and the flywheel came off of a 92 camaro 350 im going to compare thos starteres and i also found out that the way the starter bolts up is universal offset bolts or the two the are along side of each other whish me luck :doah: just also found out that the engines only had a 305 in it an am wondering if it will work with the 350's as well

16. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yes, all 1 piece rear main seal SBCs can use the same flywheels

and i was just going to say to get a starter for a 90 camaro v8(92 is the same)

17. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks again for everyones help i just need to get the other starter bolt for the shorter side one bolt works for now at least next time i will know

18. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

may sound like a dumb question, but do you have the '73 flex plate on this motor or do you have the late model flexplate.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

One peice main...

86 and up one peice rear main seal motors flexplates have a different crank bolt pattern--wont bolt up to an older two peice rear main 85 and older crank..

I had this dilema when I put the 86 305 from a G10 van in my 79 C10 ..the 79's 250 six had the "3510" style starter,the same starter most 305's and 350's also used--I figured it would bolt right up! WRONG!..it would not bolt up right to the 305,its nose hit a "bulge" in the oilpan rail that the older small blocks never had,due to the new "one peice" seal design..the bolt pattern was the same "staggered" pattern,but the 305 van starter was notched out on the nose to miss that oil pan bulge,and I noticed the nose was tilted where the drive gear came out,not straight like the 3510 was..
    That might have been irrelevant though..

My flexplate was the same (larger)diameter,being a van one,not a car..I can see why your having trouble,if its a car flexplate,you'll need the matching starter to go with it..in days of old,there were only 2 starters for a chevy--one with staggered bolts,for the 168 tooth flexplate,and the "straight across" bolt pattern for the 153 tooth flexplates..now there are several different choices,and many look nearly identical,but wont interchange.. :doah:

DON'T run only 1 bolt in a GM starter,EVER!..it will snap off in the block,and possibly crack the block too!..get both bolts in there before its too late!..It could strip the flexplate and crack the starter nose too..anything is better than NO bolt in there.. :eek1: ..having that "brace" on the front of the starter to the block is a good idea too.. :crazy: