Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help for 89 sub 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerjohns, May 1, 2006.

1. kerjohns

kerjohns Newbie

Hi all,
    I am new to this site but after reading some post I figured I could get aswers to my questions. I am doing some looking for a friend He owns a 1989 half ton surburban with the auto locking 4x4 hubs.Recently the drag sleeve went to pieces and he is looking for some options to fix this, now for the questions: 1) would auto locking or manual hubs be better?, 2) are all the parts from a auto locking system reused with manual hubs ? and which ones are not? 3) Which hubs are the best to use on this type of truck?
    That should work for a start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    As to why I am doing this, he isn't that computer literate and he does not have the time.
    Thanks for any help recieved,
    KJ

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Most people just convert to manual hubs. The auto hubs seem a bit weaker, but can be more convenient than having to get out everytime you want to put it into 4 wheel drive.

I have a set of auto hubs off a 1989 sub, complete that I would sell, if you are interested. They look to hardly ever been used - except the outside chrome is a little pitted.

3. kerjohns

kerjohns Newbie

thanks I will give him a call and let him know he is in arizona and I'm in oklahoma

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

manuals will lock when you lock them and want them locked(unlike autos sometimes) and will unlock WHEN you want them to(unlike autos sometimes).

i got warn premiums at napa auto parts since it was cheaper getting them there than anywhere online after shipping and everything.

and the only thing you MIGHT reuse is a snap ring but i just used the one that came with the new hubs

heres how you do the swap: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168847