Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help for a "gear noobie"!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5inthefort, Jul 10, 2004.

1. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Help for a \"gear noobie\"!?

Hey, everyone,
    I'm pretty new to the gearing segment of truck building. I know you guys can help me out on some basic questions.

How can one tell if there are lockers in a differential? If there are, do they only lock while in 4 wheel, or, for example, if there was a locker in the rear diff, would that axle be locked all the time? The reason I'm asking- on slick stuff like ice/snow, if I'm in 2 wheel drive, pretty much just one tire will spin. When I put it in 4 wheel drive, all tires grip very well.
    I know that if the front axle is locked up, you can definately tell when turning a corner. Does the same apply for the rear diff (any bounciness, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

2. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

Re: Help for a \"gear noobie\"!?

what do you mean by "How can one tell if there are lockers in a differential?" if you jack up the rig, grab a tire and spin. if the other tire spins the same way, it's locked. the opposite way, no locker.

as far as driveability, automatic lockers (e.g. detroits) they will, for the most part, stay "unlocked" while coasting through turns. if you have a spool or are welded, the wheels spin the same 100% of the time, so when you're going around a turn, the rear will chirp a little bit. HTH

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

BEST WAY....Pull the cover, the fluid needs changed anyways.

Most likely with what you described, both ends are 'open'.

4. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Thanks for the helpful words, guys.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pull cover, the only real way, turning a tire one direction doesnt always work and doing a burnout test risks blowing up the axle, so..

pull the cover and then youll find out everything, ratio and if posi or open

good luck