Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help from my fellow k5'RS How high?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Mar 15, 2001.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

Help from my fellow k5\'RS How high?

I am looking to put on 35's with a 2 inch body lift. I was wondering if any of you guys out there have this configuration and how tall their rig sits? I want it to fit in my garage. Right now I am running 33's without a lift and I have a bout 4 inches to spare. DO you guys think it would fit?

2. Re: Help from my fellow k5\'RS How high?

i ran 35s on a 2.5" lift for quite a while. i did some sawsall action on the fenders and there were no problems. with that lift my truck sat almost as high as my brother-in-law's with a 4" and 33s. his truck fits in a standard 7 foot high garage door. I have sense added a 4" lift-only because it came with a parts truck i bought for the motor. to be honest, it drove better with the 2.5". check my web site for pics of both lifts.

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Help from my fellow k5\'RS How high?

Just a guess but I would expect it to still fit. I'm pretty sure you will need some significant trimming though. Maybe lowered bump stops too if it hits on the tops when stuffed.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

4 inch fits 35's nicely... I added a 3 inch body lift to mine so i can wheel a little more radical through or trails w/o worryin about rubbin... It takes a bit to rub w/35's and 4 inches, but it can happen...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

It will fit, but i dont think it will look right. I would stay with 33's.You will have to regear for 35's i would think.

From your name it looks like you are from NJ? eh? Not to be the bearer of bad news but, I thought NJ had VERY strict lift laws.( could be NY though). I would check this out first.

One From None

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I really like the way a 4" lift looks with 33's

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. BadDog

Yeah, 4" is pretty much ideal for 35s IMHO. However, he needs to be able to get in his garage.

Oh, and what is this about not looking right. I think my rig is going to look really cool with a 4" lift and 40s... Assuming I can work out all the clearance issues and not limit my articulation.. May not be much of the body left when I get done tho...

Bad Dog

8. Re: Help from my fellow k5\'RS How high?

hey baddog, i wanna see pics when you get the 40s on! what kind of tires are you goig to run? better buy a fresh pack of sawsall blades and some ear plugs!

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. BadDog

Yeah, as soon as I get a little further along, I'll put it up on my personal site or get one here.

On the tires, I have not settled yet. In fact, I hate to buy new ones since I plan on thrashing this thing pretty hard and it is a trail only rig. I will most likely never get close to wearing out a set before I rip out the sidewall. I'll probably search the used tire stores and junk yards keeping my fingers crossed and see what I find. I already found a set of 38x14(?) on 16.5 Alum. slots for $300 but the tread at about 40% and I don’t want the 16.5s. If it comes down to time to make it happen, I'll probably go with new TSLs (blems if I can get em) around 40". I'm also going to see if I can scare up a set of 8 lug 15" heavy steels that will clear the 1 ton brakes. Again, if it comes down to it, I'll buy some of the rock rims mail order. Maybe even beadlocks.

Anyway, I still got time before it comes down to making a decision. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, if you don't get in too big a rush, sometimes you get lucky. It took 2 months of looking to find my project base and I think I got really lucky with it...

Bad Dog

10. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Ditch the body lift, It's uesless. On a 6 inch susp. lift 35's look very good. I ran 33's on my stock 85. You might have 4 inch to spare sitting level but flex that thing a little and you'll find zero room. I half tore out the side tread of BFG AT just trying to make it up a muddy hill. It looks mean on the street but adds nothing to the trail. Do what you want but, if you are going to do it don't waste money on a body lift get a susp.

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

BadDog,

Cheapest 8 lug 15 x 10's I know of are (of course) white spokes. Bought mine (American Racing) in '96 for about $36 each. Had bead locks put on them about 3 years ago, I've abused the rims pretty well and they're still good. 1 ton brakes (front) require a lot of grinding to work w/ 15's, but there's still plenty of metal left, more than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton starts with. My wheels (both sets) have 4-1/8" backspacing.

Been real happy w/my TSLs, expensive though. Feel free to email me w/any questions. Assuming you've seen the pic of my truck thats been posted here a few times?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd