Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help from texas folk

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by nstarry, Nov 25, 2005.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

Hey looking for some info on your great state .
    Me and the wife are looking to move down there in about six months, and were trying to research online but you really dont get the feel like actually talking to some one living there!!
    So I figured I would ask you guys "living there" , We live in minnesota now and my wife has lived here her whole life so I am looking for an area there that will still look like home yet have the things we want.This is a list of what were looking for If you have any sugestions that we can research more on that would be great

trees, hills/mountains, low humidity, warm temps, good school districts ( nine year old boy)
    and of course [U]goooood wheelin[[/U]/I]

Thank you for your help in advance

2. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good beer, good climate, good folks.

cept the football isnt as good as OK :p:

3. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

were thinking around texas city, aaaaaarrrrooooooouuuuuuunnnnnnndddddddd we dont know quite yet. I have vacation time in january so we will be coming down to look around. I think we are going to fly if I cant talk the wife in to running the rig down ,( alot of gas money I mean alot ............) hey and thanks for the links man! it makes this move all the better, theres others !!!!!! I feel so alone here ( minnesota )

4. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

were thinking around texas city, aaaaaarrrrooooooouuuuuuunnnnnnndddddddd we dont know quite yet. I have vacation time in january so we will be coming down to look around. I think we are going to fly if I cant talk the wife in to running the rig down ,( alot of gas money I mean alot ............) hey and thanks for the links man! it makes this move all the better, theres others !!!!!! I feel so alone here ( minnesota

fourwheelerjeff

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yes, i am here. come on down :D

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

DFW has no hills, other than the bolt-ons of the ladies in the clubs.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Sounds like east texas is what you're looking for. Check out Tyler. I would avoid Dallas and Houston, but I hate large cities. South east texas has pines out the wazoo but isnt very hilly, northeast texas is getting into ozarks type terrain, hills and pine trees. Central texas (a.k.a. the hillcountry) has more "spectacular" hills but no appreciable trees. South texas has gentle roling plains and little trees. West texas is straight up desert. I dont know what the panhandle looks like, probably nothing from what I've been told.

8. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

That about sums it up:doah:

Good wheeling,Good schools,no humidity......But you have to look hard for a tree.
    The panhandle is quite plain.

9. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Anywhere in the Texas Hill Country would fill what you are looking for. The areas around Austin and San Antonio are nice. I'm not sure what type of employment you are seeking but Austin and San Antonio seem to have good job markets. You could look at the smaller cities such as San Marcos (where I am) or New Bruansfels and commute if you needed/wanted to.

As far as wheeling, Devil's Den in San Antonio is a fun place to go.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The Den is prety much closed now. In the fall in Texas, you can wheel at Gilmer, about 100 miles east of Dallas; Alto, about halfway between Houston and Dallas and a few other places in central Texas. The spring is when it gets really fun though, a few more parks like Katemcy, Llano and Trees open after deer season.

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I think there is something that should be made clear. When Texans say "trees" it will not be what you are used to for the most part. Yes there are forest in NE Texas that might resemble what you have up north but most of what you will find is pine, cedar, oak, mesquite. Also the part you requested about low humidity rules out all areas with trees. I would suggest like the others something in the Austin/San Antonio area but be prepared that it will still get hot and humid. If you are looking for something centrally located between the different areas with some trees and low humidity I would suggest Abilene or Brownwood. Not big booming cities but close enough to most of the state to make weekend trips to just about everywhere except far west Texas (El Paso area)

12. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    austin is one of the best places i've lived in. i lived there for a summer. summer time & weather was in the 80 degree range. very nice. i'd like to move back there once i finish school. the terrain there looks very nice also. check out: www.austink5.com :D houston is very big, not my kinda city, but they just opened up a park in their area. this is their site: www.springcreekoffroad.com a couple of other texas websites are: www.texas4x4.org and www.lonestar4x4.net and www.rgv4x4.com the rgv4x4 website is our website down here in the rio grande valley. the very tip of texas, pretty much next to mexico. there's not much wheeling here, just some mud pits, dirt hills that are pretty steep, the beach, and a rock playground in mexico (about 10 mins across the border) with a lot of mesquite trees...not to mention the 100+ degree weather in the summer, little rain, lots of humidity, and well just not what you're looking for :doah: let us know when you make it out to texas