Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Front axle width? Need to trailer or dolly!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, Aug 18, 2001.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Does anyone know the with of the front axle of an '87 GMC Jimmy (fullsize of course) with stock aluminum wheels? I've located one and I'm trying to find a trailer or dolly to get it home. Has anyone ever put a K5 on a Uhaul trailer or tow dolly?????????? Help Me if you can!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,39.5 Boggers for wheeling!

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

U-haul won't let you rent a trailer from them except to tow a small or medium size car. My trailer is an 8.5'X20' and my 75 fits just barely between the fender wells. I have 8X15 rims with 36X12.5X15 Swampers on it.

Good Luck
    David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just went through this a couple months ago, uhaul won't rent you anything that you can pull a K5 with, unfortunately. I ended up finding a tool and heavy equipment rental place and renting a Tow-bar for 2 days, which worked out a world better than any dolly or trailer IMO (I'm now trying to buy a bar instead of ever renting a dolly for anything again). Almost no sway, and very little pushing. At some points (when traffic was moving), I practically forgot the monster was attached to me...
    I could give you a tip or two, but if you really want info on tow-bars, ask tRustyK5 (rene). He pulled a K5 from Texas to Canada a couple months ago on a bar he built...

Whatever you end up going with, though, you should try to tow with a bigger vehicle, if for nothing else, braking ability.

Good luck!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

4. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

I pulled my 73 jimmy to Texas from Washington State with a draw tight tow bar put the t-caase in nutral hooked up some lights and 1800 miles later drove around town topless

73' GMC Jimmy 8" lift and 35" tires.....14 boltff and big 10 bolt on the way

5. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Well everyone has responded with what I didn't want to hear. What really bites is the fact that I've found a bad a$$ '87 Jimmy 5 hours from home that has some sweet mods with no engine and I can't get it here! Damn sh*t, f*$#!!!!!!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,39.5 Boggers for wheeling!

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I bought a 84 two years ago. It was about 4 hour drive from home. Grabbed the dolly and went to pick it up. Got it strapped on fine (it fit on the dolly barely) Took my 1st corner and found out the dolly would not pivit properly with such a wide truck. Ended up paying a towtruck to drag it home. Uhaul tandem axle trailers will take a hell of a beating, just play stupid with them with what you are putting on it. I pulled a K3500 dually 2000 miles on one. You need a heavy truck (K5 pulling a K5 can get kinda hairy) to pull though as the trailer dosent have brakes.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

goldrush, can you post a few pictures of your trailer. i am trying to build one.

Thanks

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If you do get it on a dolly make sure you unlock the steering wheel!

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the moving companies for the HD trailer - UHaul (I think)
    had one in 97 when I moved from Tx to Or.

Second tactic - take the GVW of the vehicle in and ask them if they have any trailers rated for that weight.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you can find a common car hauler-type trailer, it should work for a stock K5. You need one that is 83" between the fenders (some are 77"). The most common ones are 16', 7000 lb. GVW. With my 39.5s, I have to drive over the driver's side fender on my trailer. Mine is also heavy enough that I had to step up to a 10,000 lb. GVW trailer, and I went w/ an 18'. For towing a stock Blazer though, a 16' x 83" deck 7000 lb trailer should be fine.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Check this out for a little more experienced info:

k5.8m.com
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Apparently this guy wasn't about to let common sense get in the way of getting his truck home. I bet $800 was starting to look pretty cheap after all...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>