Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Front hubs must come off.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stroked72Blazer, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was trying to replace the u-joints at the end of the front axle half-shafts and when I took the wheel off 4 of the 6 lug bolts broke. I have never taken a front hub off of a 4wd and need help. Inside the lock cover all I find is a c-clip but there are no nuts.

ICQ #38607181

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have to take the snap ring off (snap-ring pliers work good to do this but 2 screwdrivers will do) on the shaft as well as the snap ring in the hub that holds the plate the hub bolts too (a pick works good for this one). You will then need a spindle socket (available at any parts store) to remove the spindle lock nut. Then you pull off the lock ring (a small hooked pick works good for this), and the other spindle nut. If the caliper is out of the way the hub/rotor will now come off. To get at the u-joint you will also have to take the spindle off. Take the nuts off and tap/beat the it off with a soft faced mallet (or a hammer and block of wood). I can't remember the torque spec's off the top of my head for when you put it back together.