Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!! Fuel Problem?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jquartucy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. jquartucy

jquartucy Newbie

I have an 89 K5, auto, 350, 4X4...When the engine warms up, from a stop, when I give it gas, it sputters and wants to die. It won't do this if I floor, just when I give it a little gas to move forward in traffic. I assumed it was a fuel problem, so I ran fuel injector cleaner and that did nothing. I changed the fuel filter and it gave the truck more power, but still stalling. Then we changed the Fuel Pressure regulator and same thing, more power, but still stalling. Then on Wednesday, it just died...Fuel pump, right? We changed the fuel pump and again, lots more power, but still wants to stall. I am totally stuck...Also, the spray pattern on the TBI looks fine..Not sure what else it could be...Any ideas?!

2. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

Could be a vacuum leak? Timing off? Throttle position sensor? Is it setting any codes and turning the SES light on?

3. jquartucy

jquartucy Newbie

No engine lights are on...Could it really be the timing or a vacuum leak? How can I check for a leak?

4. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

I have always used my propane torch with a length of vacuum hose on it as a leak detector - don't light it, just turn it on so the gas comes out and use it to trace the vacuum lines with the engine running. If and when the rpms increase, you have found your leak.

5. jquartucy

jquartucy Newbie

I'll give it a try...

Thanks,