Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! gas tank skid plate removal??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im about to do the ORD shackle flip. whats the easiest way to take off the skid plate on the gas tank? do i have to pull the bumper or hitch off? i cant see any access to bolts in those areas.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

DON'T take the bumper off. Open your tailgate and look straight down between the body and tailgate. I think there are at least three bolts that hold the skidplate on, and the double nuts that hod the gas tank straps. Be sure and spray the double nuts with PB Blaster or WD40 before attempting to remove them, these are easily broken. On the front side, the skid plate is held on by bolts that go from the top down and you can't see them, they are on the corners, and don't remember if there is one in the middle.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the quick response. i would have never thought to look down from the top. time to get to work!

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i had to loosen my hitch to install my skid plate. so you might have to loosen it up to remove it too.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are 3 bolts in front and 3 bolts in the rear. Remove those and the skid plate is ready to drop out of the way. But yeah, the trailer hitch will most likely have to move out of the way also.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips guys. my hitch was in the way, so i decided to just let it hang onto the tank while i dropped it until it cleared the hitch.

now ive got a real problem, ordered the greasable bushings, but wrong spring eye bushing size! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif couldnt tell until i torched them out. damn metric [darn] , guess i didnt measure correctly.

7. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

now ive got a real problem, ordered the greasable bushings, but wrong spring eye bushing size! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif couldnt tell until i torched them out. damn metric [darn] , guess i didnt measure correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What year is your K5?

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my truck is an 89. i decided to band-aid fix it by leaving in the outer shell and trimming the outside of the bushing. its a tad bit loose, but it'll work till i get replacements in.

9. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just curious because Mines an 88 and the stocks were 1-3/8"